Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I just got a new LCD monitor , Planar 191M from Dell. The monitor works great with XP and nearly great with Mandrake 8.0. There is a strip at ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Getting X to work with LCD Monitor / Screen In Mandrake

Hello,

I just got a new LCD monitor, Planar 191M from Dell. The monitor works great with XP and nearly great with Mandrake 8.0. There is a strip at the top about 30-40 pixels wide that is shifted right about 7-10 pixels.

I am set at 1024x768x16. I used custom setting at Horz. 31.5-67 and Vert 50-71.

Using the plug and play setting or various other generic settings don't improve anything.

The rest of the screen is fine. I don't get it.

What could cause this? Help, please.

Dell online support seems to require a system number, since I only bought a monitor, I don't have a system number and Planar says they don't support Linux.

Thanks

Just Joined!
    I found the problem. Apparently if you have an ATI, which I do, you have to put an option in for the card, not just the monitor. The following fixes the problem, in the section

Section "Device"
    Option "composite_sync" "False" # this line fixes all

Putting that option in fixes a sync problem. I did this and WHAM, great screen. It seems that the ATI cards don't sync well with composite sync to an LCD screen, any LCD screen. I read where someone else had the problem with an ATI Mach 64, I have the Radeon, but both use the ATI driver.

It be happy

Linux User
    Glad to hear you got it working.

And I'm sure it was much more satisfying to fix it on your own!
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I found the information when I was looking for someone who sells computer case power switches, (the one on the front, not the supply). Go figure. I don't know X well enough to have figured that one on my own.