Find the answer to your Linux question:
I can't get my laptop (Gateway M305CRV running Debian with Xorg) to use the resolution 1024x768. I've tried everything I know to fix it. Here's the relevant portion of my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Resolution problems

I can't get my laptop (Gateway M305CRV running Debian with Xorg) to use the resolution 1024x768. I've tried everything I know to fix it. Here's the relevant portion of my xorg.conf file:

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Generic Video Card"
    Driver "i810"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Generic Monitor"
    HorizSync 30-60
    VertRefresh 50-70
    Option "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Device "Generic Video Card"
    Monitor "Generic Monitor"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 1
    Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 4
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 8
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 15
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 16
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    EndSubSection
    EndSection
    It will go to 800x600 or 640x480, but it absolutely refuses to go to 1024x768. Any suggestions. I know that the driver is wrong, (the M305CRV uses the 828 chipset) but I'm not quite sure what driver I should be using.

Getting 1024x768 out of this laptop will be difficult IMHO

I did a google search and discovered many people have had difficulty trying to get beyond 800x600 with Linux (and with older versions of MS-Windows) with the make of laptop that you have. I read speculation that the problems is caused because the bios may not list the 1024x768 video mode and i810 driver needs it listed to enable the mode. (BUT is your laptop's chipset an i810 ??). Other speculation were associated with the integrated graphics possibly not having its own RAM (which reads more likely to me). The windows drivers have some sort of work around for this, which is why the higher resolution works under windows.

More specifically, from the Intel web site:
    The Intel chipset families with integrated graphics do not have RAM of its own. Since the graphics chip is integrated into the chipset it can use system RAM for graphics memory. An 'agpgart' kernel module needs to be installed so that the kernel can allocate this RAM for the graphics chip
    The windows drivers can work around this, ... I'm not so sure about linux.

You could look to see if your distribution provides agpgart support (assuming that is your problem).

Some of the frustration threads:
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...04/02/3/118311
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hreadid=299463
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archiv...p/t-46637.html

A possible fix may be here, although I confess I've never heard anything like this before:
    http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-l.../msg00103.html
    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/apoirier/

Frankly, I'm not sure how safe the above approach is. It could make things worse and damage the BIOS for all I know??

Some more speculation about the problem
    http://www.mail-archive.com/xfree86@.../msg10979.html

A thread about someone trying to put a Windows ME partition on it, and finding out out WinME also has problems getting the 1024x768.
    http://www.hwtalk.net/ftopic4940.html

I am also not by any stretch certain the above URLs and quotes contain accurate information, so take the above with a healthy grain of salt. But I hope its enough to get you pointed in a direction to finding a solution. Good luck.

Re: Resolution problems

Quote Originally Posted by rafgar
    I can't get my laptop (Gateway M305CRV running Debian with Xorg) to use the resolution 1024x768. [ snipped ]
    It will go to 800x600 or 640x480, but it absolutely refuses to go to 1024x768. Any suggestions. I know that the driver is wrong, (the M305CRV uses the 828 chipset) but I'm not quite sure what driver I should be using.
    For windows, it appears Gateway for the M305CRV use an Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Driver Installation:
    http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/...1715si62.shtml

That may also help you focus your search, and consider solutions.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I used to have a gateway 400vtx which I think used the same video chipset as yours. I had the same problem. I also had many problems with acpi or apm support and overheating, regardless, if I remember correctly I think I just used the vesa videodriver which is generic and messed around with horizsync and vertrfresh rates.

What I eventually did was sell the gateway and buy an older thinkpad which is extremely linux compatible. This might not be the answer you want but it solved a lot of my headaches with many of gateways installed hardware. I bought a t22 in great condition for 300 hundred bucks and sold the gateway for 500.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Re: Resolution problems

Quote Originally Posted by rafgar
    I can't get my laptop (Gateway M305CRV running Debian with Xorg) to use the resolution 1024x768. I've tried everything I know to fix it.
    Another web site to consider:
    http://www.xfree86.org/~dawes/845driver.html

Here is a quote from that site:
    Why can't I get high resolution/depth modes?

Unfortunately this driver relies exclusively on the video BIOS to set video modes. The video BIOS will only program video modes for which it believes there is sufficient video memory for. The Intel integrated video hardware uses a "unified memory architecture", which means that video memory is allocated from normal system memory. Most BIOSes have an option in one of the configuration screens to set the amount of system memory that is set aside for use as video memory at boot time. If you are having problems using high resolution or high colour depth modes, this is the first thing to check. If your BIOS configuration has such option, change the video memory amount to 8MB or higher, and the problem should be solved.

Unfortunately not all machines have such a BIOS configuration option. It if often the case with laptops that the amount of memory that gets allocated at boot time is fixed at 1MB (actually 832KB). Although the XFree86 driver can and will allocate more (if the correct agpgart kernel support is present), the mechanism used to inform the video BIOS of the additional allocation doesn't seem to be implemented on these laptops. This results in the video BIOS refusing to program video modes that require more than 832KB.
    Did you try the BIOS configuration option or is it available?

Have you given up on this, or are you still "digesting the possibilities"?

Just Joined!
    Have you given up on this, or are you still "digesting the possibilities"?
    I haven't given up, but I haven't gotten through all the possible solutions I've found either.

I did manage to find a driver that, accourding to Intel, will work for my laptop, but I'll have to reconfigure the kernel to get it installed. Last time I had to do that, I botched it, so I've been somewhat hesitant to do so until I get a chance to backup some of my data.

I can't adjust the memory in the BIOS, but it's set at 8m already, so it should work, right?

MT
    Just Joined!
    I have one of these things and have tried everything.

keeping sending emails to Gateway and maybe they will release an update.

I wish I could sell this PoS.