Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, As the subjects states i am very new to the Linux world and i expect that i will be visiting these pages very often. I installed Linx 9 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Only been using Linux 9 for 12 hours

Hello everyone,

As the subjects states i am very new to the Linux world and i expect that i will be visiting these pages very often. I installed Linx 9 last nite with no problem, but when the machine tried to actually boot it would just hang where it is trying to initilize the USB controllers. I did have a USB Keyboard; but i have since took it out and it boot fine. Can anyone tell me what may be the problem? It also does the same thing if i try to boot with my USB Flash Drive.

Thank You,
    Lost in Code

Linux Engineer
    Maybe the usb-controller cant handle your hardware. What happends if you try to load them when you linux box is up and running??
    Regards

Andutt

Just Joined!
    If by plugging the device in while the box is running, then yes i tried that with the USB Drive and it just froze my machine up. I did not however try to plug the keyboard in while the machine is running. Does Linux support plug and play?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Of course... Also check your kernel log and syslog for more information /var/log/messages, dmesg.
    Regards

Andutt

Just Joined!
    I just tried to plug the keyboard in while running and it hung just the same as when i put in the USB Drive... I didnt have time to look at the logs though i will have to do that when i get out of the field on friday.

Just Joined!
    When linux is booting up. look and see if you can spot lines that refer to loading a USB controller... would be a good place to start, let us know..

Just Joined!
    Anything else on this?

SuSE 9 freezes up here too after plugging in the usb flash drive.

I'd like to hear some more suggestions, or if I fix it I will post that too.

Linux Enthusiast
    First, I'd like to know what you mean by "Linux 9"
    You're obviously not reffering to the kernel (latest is 2.6.9). It would help us a lot to know what distro you're using (Redhat, Fedora Core, Debian, Mandrake, SUSE, etc.), because there's no distro that I know of by the name "Linux 9"

Second, I've had the same problem if I leave USB devices plugged in when booting into setup with Fedora Core 3, so my reccomendation is to just unplug all the USB devices before trying to boot into setup.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Just Joined!

Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Stormblazer
    First, I'd like to know what you mean by "Linux 9"
    You're obviously not reffering to the kernel (latest is 2.6.9). It would help us a lot to know what distro you're using (Redhat, Fedora Core, Debian, Mandrake, SUSE, etc.), because there's no distro that I know of by the name "Linux 9"

Second, I've had the same problem if I leave USB devices plugged in when booting into setup with Fedora Core 3, so my reccomendation is to just unplug all the USB devices before trying to boot into setup.
    Do you mean just storage devices or are we talking about things like mice as well?

Linux Enthusiast
    Just storage devices, like usb flashdrives / flashcard readers / etc.
    I have a usb mouse and keyboard, and they work fine. I did notice though that the mouse and keyboard don't always work properly unless they're in the first two usb slots, e.g. the uppermost ones on the back of the case for me.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050