Find the answer to your Linux question:
How can I have a fullscreen game like Frozen Bubble or Nexuiz on one virtual desktop, but still be able to use KDE's hotkeys (Alt+F*) to switch desktops to check ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Game on one desktop?

How can I have a fullscreen game like Frozen Bubble or Nexuiz on one virtual desktop, but still be able to use KDE's hotkeys (Alt+F*) to switch desktops to check IMs or whatever? I've tried controling the window type with kstart.

Linux Engineer
    /bump

Linux Engineer
    I'm not quite sure if thats possible if the game takes completely control over the graphics hardware instead of running fullscreen on one desktop... At least I *THINK* thats how it works.

I always thought that you can have only one session of X running on one PC. I might be wrong.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by vitalka
    I always thought that you can have only one session of X running on one PC. I might be wrong.
    You're wrong.

I asked on the Nexuiz forums. Someone said that they totally take over the X server so there's no way for a window manager to control it. The way around this is running the game on a separate X server, but switching X servers isn't that fast. Oh well :/

Linux Guru
    You can have multiple sessions using kdm or gdm, but they would be seperate logins. You could then witch with CTRL+ALT+F7 and CTRL+ALT+F8 or hichever terminals are running. Messy but the only thing that comes to mind. Does CTRL+TAB do anything for you?