Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, guys/gals... I've been using the latest version of Pekwm as my default window manager for a little over a month now, and it's really starting to grow on me. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Calling all PekWM'ers

Hey, guys/gals...

I've been using the latest version of Pekwm as my default window manager for a little over a month now, and it's really starting to grow on me. It feels faster than Fluxbox and Blackbox, it's lightweight, and it's easily customized. Pekwm documentation seems very good and detailed, too.

If any of you have any good pekwm resources or tips, I'd sure appreciate it if you could post them here.

For pekwm themes, check out: http://hewphoria.com/

Thanks in advance!

Linux User
    I tried it out about 8 months ago, but it didn't feel ready yet, and I think development was beginning to stall just about then. It looks more active now, though, and I've been noticing over the last couple weeks that the themes are looking a ton better than before. I'm going to have to try it out again, and I think I'm going to be very impressed.

The thing I liked most originally was the customizability. If the focus behavior hadn't be quirky, that probably would have won me over from Fluxbox at the time.

God, I finally settled on a distro, but now I'm jumping Window Managers again! At least I've been settled on Ion for a few months
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

oz
    forum.guy
    Hey there, Michael

Yes, I think Pekwm has probably improved since you last tried it. It is indeed highly customizable, and not too difficult to figure out. The latest version requires updated themes, so there aren't a lot of them available just yet, but there are a few nice ones at the site I posted above.

Yeah, the focus thingy had me irritated for a while, too, so I worked on the mouse bindings to remove sloppy focus. However, upon reloading pekwm, I quickly realized sloppy focus had grown on me, so I re-enabled it. Give me a shout if you should retry Pekwm and run into the focus issues again, and I'll try to help you with it.

Openbox still feels only very slightly faster, but Pekwm feels faster than any of the other "box" WMs.

oz
    forum.guy
    Okay, Michael... I posted "calling all pekwm'ers" almost a month ago, but not many takers. So, I guess it's just us, then!

Anyway, I'm still enjoying the flexibility and speed of this WM much more than I did that of Fluxbox, or Blackbox. Just wish the theme makers would get busy, though. The default theme that comes with Pekwm is aweful, and the only themes I've been able to find are at hewphoria. If you should happen to know of any other resources, I'd appreciate a link to them.

Thanks in advance!

It's been a while since I've played with Pekwm. I liked the idea of tabbed windows without the space wasting tabs. Having a window title bar just sitting their consuming screen real estate with little more than a name and a few control buttoms really bugs me!

[edit:] Oh, I remember that back when I was playing with Pekwm there were pekwm themes on http://www.themedepot.com/, but it seems the site is down.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello there, IK

Thanks for the link. One of the problems is that the format has changed on the latest pekwm themes, so the older ones no longer work on the latest pekwm release. Themes with the new format seem to be few and far between.