Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay, I'm getting pretty good at Linux, but this one has me stumped. I'm running Debian with x-window-system-core and kde 3.4 installed. Everything is working fine, except for one thing: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Here's a challenge - X server display properties

Okay, I'm getting pretty good at Linux, but this one has me stumped.

I'm running Debian with x-window-system-core and kde 3.4 installed. Everything is working fine, except for one thing: the entire image on my monitor is shifted to the right of center!

When I boot into Windows XP the screen is perfectly centered - there's a bit of a black border equally around each edge. When I boot into Linux and X starts up, there is a huge black border on the left edge, then the screen image starts, and the the right edge almost runs off the side of the display.

A picture is worth a thousand words:

Windows XP (correct, centered):

KDE 3.4 (wrong, off-center):

Of course I could use the manual controls on the front of the monitor to center it in Linux, but then if I boot into Windows the setting would be wrong and then Windows wouldn't look right! I've ran many Linux systems before (even on this computer) and I've never seen this happen.

My question: is there a way to set the horizontal position (geometry) of the display through X config settings? Basically I need to move the entire display about 25 pixels to the left in order for it to be centered.

Any ideas?? Thanks!

Linux Guru
    Maybe 'xvidtune' will work for you. Do 'man xvidtune' first, and then when you do 'xvidtune', don't freak at the warning message.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    You're a genius! That was so easy... Despite the WARNING WARNING WARNING thing, lol.
    It's perfect now... thanks!