Find the answer to your Linux question:
It is weird, but when I use Nautilus to navigate to a directory that has a bunch of movies in it (big RedVsBlue fan), it will practically lock up my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Nautilus locks up

It is weird, but when I use Nautilus to navigate to a directory that has a bunch of movies in it (big RedVsBlue fan), it will practically lock up my machine. By lock up, I mean that it monopolizes my cpu and is accessing my hard drive constantly and it does this for a minute or two until I restart X. I thought it might be because there are about 60 files, all of which are around 20-30 megs each, but the directory contents popup more or less instantly in the nautilus window, so I don't understand why it seems to do this indefinitely and yet still be able to display the contents of the directory. Any ideas?

Linux Engineer
    Are you letting it show previews for movies? That may take a while... I belive you can remove it in the nautilus settings.

Just Joined!
    Ah, I didn't realize that nautilus did the whole preview thing since the only thing I ever saw next to the files was an icon, but yeah, when I turned off the preview stuff the problem went away. Thanks.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close