Find the answer to your Linux question:
well i'm used to GNOME, but found out i liked more kde3 these days but when i enter the shell and look in the man pages i always get square ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[redhat8.0] '-' is a square in the shell under KDE

well i'm used to GNOME, but found out i liked more kde3 these days but when i enter the shell and look in the man pages i always get square where there should be '-' because i didn't have under gnome it must be some font i think ... does anyone know which ones??? thanx, it's really gettin' annoying to read like that hehe ...

thanx

Linux Guru
    It's probably something with either your font setting or your language settings. Have you tried another font? If that's not it, I'm guessing that you're running RedHat 8, aren't you?

Linux User
    (that's why is says redhat 8.0 in the title )

I have been told that you can change your shell font, and change it back to fix this, I have the same problem myself and have not fixed it yet (many people say it worked for them) it did not for me
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Sorry, I missed that. Don't include information in the subject, noone looks there, do they? =)

First of all though, try "export LANG=en_US" before you run "man". That just might fix it.

Linux User
    dear god, that did it for me - and all this time i have been reading html man pages

now the question becomes, i can add it to my .bashrc but i would liek to figure out where that is supposed to be set at, if anyone knows good, if not I'll let you know after i look
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux Guru
    For fixing it permanently, see /etc/sysconfig/i18n. It's a known unicode problem in redhat 8.

I hardly use the text mode man command anymore, though. I've found the best solution to be postscript man pages. The downside is that you can't search, but if you want to search then just view it in text mode. I find the postscript output easier to look at than the text output. I've made a little script which I call mangv, which looks like this:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    file="`mktemp /tmp/manXXXXXX`"
    if ! man -t "$@" >$file; then
        rm $file
        exit 1
    fi
    ggv $file
    rm $file

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    For fixing it permanently, see /etc/sysconfig/i18n. It's a known unicode problem in redhat 8.

I hardly use the text mode man command anymore, though. I've found the best solution to be postscript man pages. The downside is that you can't search, but if you want to search then just view it in text mode. I find the postscript output easier to look at than the text output. I've made a little script which I call mangv, which looks like this:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    file="`mktemp /tmp/manXXXXXX`"
    if ! man -t "$@" >$file; then
        rm $file
        exit 1
    fi
    ggv $file
    rm $file
    already knew that /etc/sysconfig/i18n file thingie but didn't about the language ... thanx! ... and got to say, that script really works well, you're right for long reads it's easier to look at a postscript view than in the konsole!!! thanx a lot ...