Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello folks, my 1st post... not new to linux though. i compiled LFS. right now i have GTK(1 as well as 2), xorg, fluxbox and multimedia support. i've been looking ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

file manager sugessions pls..

hello folks,
    my 1st post... not new to linux though.
    i compiled LFS.
    right now i have GTK(1 as well as 2), xorg, fluxbox and multimedia support. i've been looking for a file manager next...
    i bumped upon 'tux commander' after refering previous posts here. it indeed was very good.
    i've been using konqueror since i tasted linux and i simply love it. but this time i am looking for something lighter and which has a fast loading time. it has to be one with an embedded terminal emulator (like konqueror has) and ofcourse an icon interface (unlike worker, FileRunner with text listings) i liked XFEIts full of features... and fast too. anymore suggestions like XFE?

Try Konqueror.

Re: file manager sugessions pls..

One option is xffm, which is xfce's file manager. I use it, though I'm thinking of trying out something else. The only other one I use is MC (midnight commander), but this is not what you're looking for, it is console based, and works much like the two managers you already mentioned. One other that you could try is Krusader, a kde version of mc.

@Varean:
    Quote Originally Posted by logicalfuzz
    i've been using konqueror since i tasted linux and i simply love it.
    edit: thanks for mentioning tux commander, I had never heard of it and it looks great! I'm installing it now
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

oz
    forum.guy
    Rox (rox-filer) and XFE are my favorites. It takes a few days to get comfortable with Rox because it has a different feel to it, but if you stick with it, you'll probably like it.

I use Rox as well. It's different from Konqueror (quite), but it's very lightweight, and it's very nice once you adjust to it.

The Enlightenment File Manager, Evidence, is also apparently good. I've never used it, nor do I like its appearance from the screenshots I've seen, but it may be worth a shot.

Just Joined!
    Evidence will be great once it matures, right now it's pretty unstable, as is the rest of E17.

I also would reccomend Rox-Filer. Its small, fast, and easily configurable. Once you get used to it you'll wish every file manager could be as quick and lightweight.

Linux Engineer
    I'd recommend Rox and also use it as your desktop - very delectable eye candy!
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Linux Engineer
    Rox is good, thought some times I feel it has a weird "feel"...

I actually haven't seen evidence crash once before... It's great, really.

I like XFE pretty good aswell, it has a familiar feel aswell (u know like win). Very light.

I am very interested in the "Thuna" filemanager (orwhatever it was called) in the works for next version of XFCE, it looks very promising, thought I've just seen screenies yet. Can't remember where thought.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by jaboua
    I am very interested in the "Thuna" filemanager (orwhatever it was called) in the works for next version of XFCE, it looks very promising, thought I've just seen screenies yet. Can't remember where thought.
    Yeah, it's "thunar", and it does indeed look promising. Sure hope it's good because xffm sucks bigtime, in my opinion.

Just Joined!
    thanks .... i tried rox on RHEL, liked it and now i have it installed on LFS. i had a look at thunar. awsome looks and functionality. but have to see how nice it is to the memory. if the developers indeed stick to their purpose of a light and fast file manager, then m sure thunar has to get sunglasses, coz it has a bright future...