Find the answer to your Linux question:
How do you make your own icon set for KDE?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Making your own icon thingy in KDE

How do you make your own icon set for KDE?

well, making your own theme isn't a one step process.. and i am not all knowing in the subject but i'll try to give you some tips.

firstly, take a look at other themes and see what they have in them. /usr/share/icons should have them.

they all have a file called index.theme. open one up.. this is what it will look like (except i've added C-style comments...
    [Icon Theme]
    Name=Crystal SVG
    Comment=Icon Theme by Everaldo.com Design Studio

DisplayDepth=32

Inherits=hicolor // i think this is what icon theme icons you havn't specified default to.
    Example=folder // what icon is shown in the control center as an example of your theme
    LinkOverlay=link
    LockOverlay=lockoverlay
    ShareOverlay=share
    ZipOverlay=zip
    DesktopDefault=48
    DesktopSizes=16,22,32,48,64,128 // sizes of the icons in the respective places (in pixels)...
    ToolbarDefault=22
    ToolbarSizes=16,22,32,48
    MainToolbarDefault=22
    MainToolbarSizes=16,22,32,48
    SmallDefault=16
    SmallSizes=16
    PanelDefault=32
    PanelSizes=16,22,32,48,64,128
    //and then you have the directories in your theme that contain the icons... more on that...
    Directories=16x16/actions,16x16/apps,16x16/devices,16x16/filesystems,16x16/mimetypes,22x22/actions,22x22/apps,
    22x22/devices,22x22/filesystems,22x22/mimetypes,32x32/actions,32x32/apps,32x32/devices,32x32/filesystems,
    32x32/mimetypes,48x48/actions,48x48/apps,48x48/devices,48x48/filesystems,48x48/mimetypes,64x64/actions,
    64x64/apps,64x64/devices,64x64/filesystems,64x64/mimetypes,128x128/actions,128x128/apps,128x128/devices,
    128x128/filesystems,128x128/mimetypes
    [16x16/actions]
    Size=16
    Context=Actions
    Type=Threshold
    [16x16/apps]
    Size=16
    Context=Applications
    Type=Threshold
    [16x16/devices]
    Size=16
    Context=Devices
    Type=Threshold
    [16x16/filesystems]
    Size=16
    Context=FileSystems
    Type=Threshold
    [16x16/mimetypes]
    Size=16
    Context=MimeTypes
    Type=Threshold
    [22x22/actions]
    Size=22
    Context=Actions
    Type=Threshold
    [22x22/apps]
    Size=22
    Context=Applications
    Type=Threshold
    [22x22/devices]
    //etc...
    about the folder structure. in each icon theme main folder there are subfolders named after the size of the icons they contain. inside each of these are 5 main folders: apps,mimetypes, filesystems, devices, actions. i don't know if you can change these names when making your own theme, but you might as well use their structure.. it's easyer.

apps - application icons, like : amarok, kwikidisk, kmenu...etc...
    mimetypes - filetype icons, like: rpm, tar, spreadsheet
    filesystems - folder icons and things... : executables, folders, home folder...
    devices - ...well... devices : floppy, zip, dvdburner...
    actions - menubar actions like: stop, forward, back, exit...

so what you first want to do is make your own icons. get a picture/make a picture and then (with gimp if you wish) resize it to whatever icon size you will use on your computer. ex: 16x16 pixels is mini icons, 32x32 pixels is medium sized....etc...

then make a directory structure like i mentioned above (use pre-existing themes for reference). then rename your icons to fit the icon you wish it to be.

examples:
    if you want an amarok icon of size 32x32 for your desktop, create a 32x32 pixel icon and put it in "youricontheme/32x32/apps/amarok.png"

if you wanted to have your kmenu button to be the face of a penguin... find a picture of a penguin... resize it to 32x32 (or whatever size you wish to use). and name it ""youricontheme/32x32/apps/kmenu.png"
    etc...

then when you are done... in "youricontheme" folder make an "index.theme" file (just copy and paste and edit what you wish).
    now compress "youricontheme" folder (and all it's contents) as a .tgz

done! now you can go to control center and "install new theme".. find your .tgz file and open it.

that's pretty much it i think... if you get stuck... post again and i'll try to help.
    Avatar from xkcd.com, a hilarious computer related webcomic.

Linux Newbie
    Thank you!!!!!1 That helped a lot.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oh good, it would have sucked if i'd typed it all in vain
    what kind of an icon theme are you making?
    Avatar from xkcd.com, a hilarious computer related webcomic.