Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I am running Mandrake Linux 9.1 on my system. I am having problems starting X. When I log in as root and type "startx", it says "waiting for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

waiting for X server to start accepting connections

Hi all,

I am running Mandrake Linux 9.1 on my system. I am having problems starting X. When I log in as root and type "startx", it says "waiting for X server to begin accepting connections." and then it displays ".." on new lines over and over. Nothing else happens so I have to kill X. One thing I did notice is that my /usr/X11R6/bin/Xwrapper file is highlighted in red when I do an "ls" There are sym-links that point to this file. The file appears to have data in it, but I thought red meant the file was missing? Can anyone help me get X working properly? I did not install X (or KDE/gnome during the initial install of Mandrake. I am trying to install everything for it now. Thanks.

Just Joined!
    I don't know what packages are you installed after initial install of Mandrake.There seems that your X-Server isn't up,so I guess that you haven't installed enough XFree86 packages.For me a RH9.0 system, I have these libs to bring up X.
    XFree86-libs-data-4.3.0-2
    XFree86-100dpi-fonts-4.3.0-2
    XFree86-xdm-4.3.0-2
    XFree86-libs-4.3.0-2
    XFree86-font-utils-4.3.0-2
    XFree86-truetype-fonts-4.3.0-2
    XFree86-75dpi-fonts-4.3.0-2
    XFree86-Mesa-libGLU-4.3.0-2
    XFree86-xauth-4.3.0-2
    XFree86-4.3.0-2
    XFree86-twm-4.3.0-2
    XFree86-devel-4.3.0-2
    XFree86-Mesa-libGL-4.3.0-2
    XFree86-xfs-4.3.0-2
    XFree86-base-fonts-4.3.0-2
    XFree86-tools-4.3.0-2

So you should complete the X install,also there is an alternative to compile and install from XFree86 source.

Just Joined!

X server won't accept connections

thanks for your help. I ended up doing a reinstall of the system anyway. When I initially did the install, I didn't set up my partitions right. I was running really low on space, especially in my /usr partition. So I figured a reinstall would be easier. Thanks again.