Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, yesterday everything was ok. Today, I logged into gnome(Suse) and my panel wasn't there!! Any ideas?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

GNOME panel disappeared!! [SOLVED]

Hey, yesterday everything was ok. Today, I logged into gnome(Suse) and my panel wasn't there!! Any ideas?

Just Joined!

me too

this problem happened with me also. there are two possible reasons:

1- you've enabeled the 3d acceleration which is still betaand may crash the kde or gnome

2- one of the gnome essential packages have crashed (accedentally deleted or something..)

for me it was the first reason but i failed to solve except by reinstalling

which that there is a better idea
    bye..

Just Joined!
    Hmmm... Maybe the second because I tried to update to Gnome 2.12 with APT. I don't remember exactly what I installed. So, maybe I have to uninstall what I installed yesterday or re-install gnome. But I don't know how to do either of them!

Try restarting gnome-panel (I think this is what it's called). Post the error if you get one.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Just Joined!

by yast

You can install / uninstall software by yast

just open a console or press alt+f2 then type yast
    press the software icon on the left, and istall/uninstall icon on the right

choose the packages you want to install, or click on installed packages till a trash bin icon appear beside them (uninstall)

which that solve your problem

bye

Just Joined!
    I uninstalled Gnome from Yast and then reinstalled it but now I cannot log in!

Just Joined!

why

why can't you log in
    what is the probem?
    what is the error message?

Just Joined!
    I am in the screen where I can give username and password, I select GNOME it starts logging and when it starts the Window Manager I get an error message about some services and does nothing more! I will post the exact message later because I can't now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool_2
    I am in the screen where I can give username and password, I select GNOME it starts logging and when it starts the Window Manager I get an error message about some services and does nothing more! I will post the exact message later because I can't now.
    You really didn't have to uninstall and then install Gnome (had you wanted to, you could have reinstalled it), just running the gnome panel or possibly reinstalling it would have probably done the trick. Now, when you type in your username and password, instead of Gnome, do you have any other desktop environments to login to? KDE, perhaps (I think it's the default in suse)? If so, login and reinstall gnome. If not, login to the command line, and check this site on installing with yast from the CLI:
    http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/trench/15408.html
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Just Joined!
    Well, the problem is over. I updated Gnome from Yast and fixed the problem. Thanks!!