Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, i have a simple question how can i change the display resolution if the x-server is running without restarting the x-server. I use Mandrake 9.1(XFREE86 ver. 4) with the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Change screen resolution

Hello, i have a simple question how can i change the display resolution if the x-server is running without restarting the x-server. I use Mandrake 9.1(XFREE86 ver. 4) with the nvidia drivers! Does anyone can help me??

I don't think it is possible. If you change it through the display settings in KDE you will need to log out to get the changes applied. You need to restart X if you make changes to XF86Config file as well so I guess you don't have a choice
    I am on a journey to mastering Linux and I got a bloody long way to go!!!

Linux Engineer
    provided ur /etc/XF86config (or /etc/XF86config-4 in mdk) spaecifies other resolutions u can switch between them by pressing ctrl+alt+numpad_plus or c.+a.+numpad_minus

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    yes, ok! i know! but in a german pc newspaper i've read, that it gives a tool, or that the new version of the x-window system supports that!!! I couldn't believe it!! The question was only if anybody have heard sth about a tool or sth else.