Find the answer to your Linux question:
Firstly, Hi. Ive just joined but you will probably see a lot of me. Im running mandrake 9.0 on an athlon based system and I am VERY new to Linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake 9.0 and ATI Radeon 9700pro driver problems

Firstly, Hi. Ive just joined but you will probably see a lot of me.

Im running mandrake 9.0 on an athlon based system and I am VERY new to Linux and Unix. I have loads of questions but will limit myself to the following one at the mo

Has anyone succesfully used the Radeon 9700pro drivers from ATI with Mandrake 9.0?
    I have tried several times to install them following the instructions provided by ATI. I have seen various errors but think that I have narrowed the problem down to the following. The glibc version provided in the RPM seems to conflict with the one that ships with Mandrake 9.0. Using the mandrake packaging utility I have run a test RPM install checking dependencies and get a conflict with the glibc libary. How can I resolve this? Ive tried to do a forced install (without X started) and this appears to work but then after running xfree86config and rebooting I still have no OpenGL support. Can I remove the version of this libary that mandrake uses and use the ATI one or is this not necessary?

Any and all help greatfully accepted.
    Rex

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherRex
    The glibc version provided in the RPM seems to conflict with the one that ships with Mandrake 9.0
    What exactly are you trying to do? What RPM are you referring to?

Just Joined!

Thanks for the reply.

I am trying to install the ATI 9700 driver using: fglrx-glc22-4.2.0-2.5.1.i586.rpm
    My intention is to stop using the VESA video driver and to enable OpenGL suport.

When I try to install the above RPM from a command line without X running using rpm -i fglrx-glc22-4.2.0-2.5.1.i586.rpm. I get an error relating to conflicts with glibc2.2. Ive tried forcing it using rpm -i --force <filename> but after running fglrxconfig I still have no OpenGL capability within KDE.

I tried using Kpackage to check the dependencies within the RPM and I get:
    rpm -i --replacefiles --replacepkgs --test fglrx-glc22;echo RESULT=$?
    error: open of fglrx-glc22 failed: No such file or directory
    RESULT=1

Now I had thought there was a conflict between the glibc versions as I have a slightly later (madrake flavour) version and the rpm wants to use the one it
    contains. But I am no longer geting the error message that indivated this. Am I missing something or have I just wandered off the path

:o

Im going to go play some Infiltration and come back to this fresh.
    Later

Rex

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close