Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, so now that I have FC4 running quite well on my laptop I want to fix up some things that I think are important. The main thing being my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Xorg driver help.

Ok, so now that I have FC4 running quite well on my laptop I want to fix up some things that I think are important.
    The main thing being my graphics driver. After installing mplayer and started playing some movies I realized that the versa driver just doesn't cut it for full screen video...
    According lspci I've got a "Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller"
    Code:
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    The issue is that both the intel I915 and 810 (somebody suggested using the 810?) don't work, when I try to startx with either of those two drivers selected I get an error and get dropped back into the shell.
    I would like to know if anybody has any experience with Xorg and could point me in the right direction. I don't know if I should compile Xorg from it's source (if so, any tips would be great!) or has someone found a good driver or some other fix for my card.

-->Nikosapi

I don't know for the driver (I've got an ATI for which I've never managed to setup any drivers), but I'd suggest that you make sure you have DMA enabled for your drive. I use the vesa driver and the movies seem just fine...
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Linux Newbie
    I'm talking about movies that are on my hard disk, DMA for my dvd drive is another problem, one I don't want to try to fix...
    I guess I'll learn to live with it for the time being.

thank you,

-->Nikosapi

DMA should be turned on on your HDD too, for better performance. It should help if you movies are a bit jittery. You could try using the intel 845 driver, I'm not sure about 915 support.

To turn on DMA for a drive, use:

hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda ----> this is for your harddrive, use hdb or possibly hdc for the dvd/cd drives.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com