Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
i made a account tht was supose to be the root but its not leting me do root things with out being the root and btw im on Kubuntu right ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

kubuntu not making me the admin

i made a account tht was supose to be the root but its not leting me do root things with out being the root and btw im on Kubuntu right now

Linux Engineer
    Ubuntu's root account is disabled by default. You can only do things with sudo.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

How did you make the root account?? (As borromini said the root account is disabled by default, but I seem to remember another of your posts where you enabled it.)

If this is true, then you still need to be root to do certain things. When you're using a command line, and you want to do something that only root can do then you need to use "su -"
    Code:
    su -
    <root password>
    Typing "su -" and then the root password means that you have logged in as root inside this window. You can then "do root things" as you said. Always be sure to type "exit" afterwards, since the root account is very powerful, and you could really mess up your computer.

Understand??
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!
    ok thnx

Just Joined!
    sry for the second post but what command line and if its in the menu and is listed as run command its not working

Linux Enthusiast
    You can go right into a root terminal with Ubuntu (or Kubuntu). The option should be under the "System" menu, and should say "Root Terminal". The password it asks for is you user's password (the one you created during installation).

The command line is a place where you can type commands to be interpreted by your computer. There's normally a button for it in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen, and the icon will look like a little computer screen -- hover your mouse over it and if it says "terminal", "xterm", "konsole" or something like that then click it.

This will bring up a screen with a flashing prompt where you can type in commands. This is what people mean when they refer to the command line, or a terminal.

OK??
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII

Just Joined!
    ok well all i need now is to no what the root password is for ubuntu or kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by master123467
    ok well all i need now is to no what the root password is for ubuntu or kubuntu
    I seem to remember you asking this already in another thread

There is no standard password for these distros for security reasons. But I thought you'd set it already?? If not, typing "sudo password" at the command line should allow you to set it to whatever you want.

Apologies. I made a mistake.

Follow the instructions given (to you) by psic in this thread

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast