Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by fyrephlie that is sort of where i am at ... i like all of them ... and tend to want to use kde, gnome, fluxbox, windowmaker ... ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by fyrephlie
    that is sort of where i am at ... i like all of them ... and tend to want to use kde, gnome, fluxbox, windowmaker ... etc ... here and there . its somehow entertaining and fun to set up the different environments.

thanks
    I'm using Xfce, very lightweight, but very versatile also. Like someone said above, just install the kde & gnome libs, and you should be fine. I use Xfce but run K3b, OpenOffice, Amarok, Grip, Gimp, etc. on it.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Linux Newbie
    yeah i haven't seen anything for rox controlling bg... even after poking around vector linux' website...
    Old Skewl - AMD Athlon XP 1600+ / 512mb / 160gb / nVidia GeForce 4 4800ti 128mb / openSUSE 10.0 / 2.6.13-15 / (puter geek . linux noob)

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaacKuo
    ROX filer doesn't do anything with the background image. It's just the filer. I use ROX filer, but have never bothered even installing any other ROX components.
    It does . I only have to admit I don't remember how to do it anymore... But I pulled it off, with only rox-filer, so it can't be that difficult!
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaacKuo
    ROX filer doesn't do anything with the background image. It's just the filer. I use ROX filer, but have never bothered even installing any other ROX components.
    It does . I only have to admit I don't remember how to do it anymore... But I pulled it off, with only rox-filer, so it can't be that difficult!
    Google is my friend. From the Rox FAQ:
    Right click on the desktop background. Choose Backdrop... from the bottom of the menu. Drag an image in.

If no background image is set, the colour set in the Options box is used (choose ROX-Filer/Options... from the menu).

You can use Wallpaper to select a random backdrop image at regular intervals, and for other interesting effects.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Enthusiast crashandburn0420's Avatar
    i ran kde and gnome on fedora core 4 and it was the slowest ive ever seen. right when i removed kde it almost tripled its speed

Linux Newbie
    hmm ..
    Old Skewl - AMD Athlon XP 1600+ / 512mb / 160gb / nVidia GeForce 4 4800ti 128mb / openSUSE 10.0 / 2.6.13-15 / (puter geek . linux noob)

Quote Originally Posted by crashandburn0420
    i ran kde and gnome on fedora core 4 and it was the slowest ive ever seen. right when i removed kde it almost tripled its speed
    This is likely coincidence. I have noticed no slowdown whatsoever from my adding of WMs. Especially since none are even executed unless you tell it to.

Did you change from KDE to GNOME? Because if so, it may be that GNOME ran faster for you, but that this was not at all related to the removal of KDE.

Linux Enthusiast crashandburn0420's Avatar
    i think its just because i have a peice of crap computer

Linux Newbie
    mmm yes ... running linux on a p.o.s. computer does cause some problems (as does running windows) as the puter gets older and slower and software moves ahead ... certain things you wouldn't normally notice seem to be accentuated... like rewatching a hit in an action movie in slow motion... will be sure to keep it in mind for my slower machines.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2