Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
is there any real drawback to installing both kde and gnome beside the obviously space consumption on drive? i am talking compatibility / dependency problems. it seems like there might ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

drawback....

is there any real drawback to installing both kde and gnome beside the obviously space consumption on drive? i am talking compatibility / dependency problems. it seems like there might be good reasons all the distros either offer to install only one of the two ... or only COME with one of the two to begin with. I know ususally a distro is more tuned on the default ... but can there be any problems with setting up both?

thanks

(p.s. i already did on a simplyMEPIS distro on another machine ... so far no blowup ... but i want to tread lightly and not lose anything over there)
    Old Skewl - AMD Athlon XP 1600+ / 512mb / 160gb / nVidia GeForce 4 4800ti 128mb / openSUSE 10.0 / 2.6.13-15 / (puter geek . linux noob)

You shouldn't run into any issues. I usually keep them both on my systems if the distro offers them. You never know what kind of mood you might be in.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    that is sort of where i am at ... i like all of them ... and tend to want to use kde, gnome, fluxbox, windowmaker ... etc ... here and there . its somehow entertaining and fun to set up the different environments.

thanks
    Old Skewl - AMD Athlon XP 1600+ / 512mb / 160gb / nVidia GeForce 4 4800ti 128mb / openSUSE 10.0 / 2.6.13-15 / (puter geek . linux noob)

I have GNOME, KDE, Fluxbox, and Enlightenment 17 all installed. I am currently installing FVWM.

You can have as many as you want :P.

Linux Newbie
    i was just concerned about kde and gnome duking it out at all ... but i am happily using kde gnome fluxbox blackbox fvwm and windowmaker... i will be getting enlightenment soon as i fix my other box ... see my other posts ... also ... anyone have any experience using fluxspace (i.e. fluxbox with rox filer and idesk... just wondering about idesk... cause the screenshots on their website look bad really...) ... thanks

I use Fluxbox with Rox Filer, and it works wonderfully. I even use Rox in Gnome and KDE, because I love it so much.

As far as iDesk, I don't use it (if I'm on the dekstop, I can just open the Fluxbox menu), but I have previously. I had no real problems with it except that if I tried to open a KDE app (KMix, KSysguard, etc.), my icons would all disappear.

Also, the icons can be a little funky, but it all got set up fairly nicely after a little tinkering.

Linux Engineer
    I have KDE, GNOME, E17 and XFCE with no problems.

Linux Enthusiast
    i just use xfce, but i have it set up to run gnome and kde libraries (one of my favorite things about it) so i can run either kde or gnome programs whenever i feel like it. i often use a few of each

Linux Newbie
    xfce you say ... will be sure to look at that too thanks

To the original question--no, there's no problem with having both KDE and GNOME installed. I always install both with Debian installs, because the laziest thing for me to do is to select Debian's "Desktop Workstation" software suite. This suite includes both KDE and GNOME.

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan
    I use Fluxbox with Rox Filer, and it works wonderfully. I even use Rox in Gnome and KDE, because I love it so much.
    Not to go completely off topic, but how do change the background image for your desktop with ROX filer?
    ROX filer doesn't do anything with the background image. It's just the filer. I use ROX filer, but have never bothered even installing any other ROX components.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast