Basically I installed realvnc on a centos 4.1 machine and wanted to use it as an inbetween server to connect to other people.. Like someone from another location.. and by that I mean another state.. city .. basically not from the same network.

I'll be using a windows XP machine to connect to the dedicated server (which is far away somewhere) and I'm wondering if it was possible. A typical senario would be me.. connecting to the dedicated server and then let someone else connect to it and then remote assist them.

I was told conflicting information.. some says its impossible to do it because you can only use ssh on the linux server and no graphic displays (remember that the server isn't local but is a paid dedicated server elsewhere).. but then again other people say its possible. So basically I'm stumped right now and rather confused.

I installed realvnc on my machine but I have some issues running it so before I put too many effort into it.. I would like to know if its possible to do what I want to do and how much work it would require.

I wanted to do this because I ran into alot of problems trying to remote access people with the regular programs dled off the internet. Alot of these programs have a paying service where they can help me connect to someone using the method I mentioned above. Some of the prices of these services are staggering.

Basically I want to emulate that idea.

If it is possible, is there some website or place that goes into detail on how to set it up using a layman term? What I've seen mostly thru searches on forums and google are mostly for setting up on local linux servers. I barely see any FAQ or documentations on something specific like running on a remote dedicated server and when I do find something it is fragmented and hard to pick up on.

Since I'm posting here I might as well tell the problem I have. Basically I get these errors

error opening security policy file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/, removing from list!

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'
/home/sarn/.vnc/xstartup: line 4: xsetroot: command not found
/home/sarn/.vnc/xstartup: line 6: xterm: command not found
/home/sarn/.vnc/xstartup: line 7: twm: command not found
vncconfig: unable to open display "dar.sarnworld.com:1"

From what read it seems like I haven't installed x86 but when I looked in the directory I see "/etc/X11" which means it was installed.

Should I try tight VNC instead?

Any idea? Being a linux newbie isn't helping me out much.

Would anyone on here be willing to help me out? I can compensate reasonably I suppose. It shouldn't take too long for a pro to do it

Thanks for reading!