Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running KDE 3.4. I have 3 panels, and I would like 2 to be transparent, and one to have a background. So far, I haven't found a way to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

KDE Panel transparency question

I'm running KDE 3.4. I have 3 panels, and I would like 2 to be transparent, and one to have a background. So far, I haven't found a way to do this. Is there a way to do this, or am I stuck with all or nothing?

Linux Engineer
    3 panels... I think it's all or nothing, but never went pretty deep into KDE to be honest.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!
    I know it seems like a lot, but they're all really small. Essentially, I have one in the upper right corner that has the K menu, desktop switcher, etc; one in the bottom middle with app launchers set to auto-hide, and another tiny one in the bottom right, with a clock. I wanted to make the bottom middle one non-transparent, as the auto-hide seems to mess it up a bit.

Here is a screenshot. The clock and the apps are on different panels, because the apps autohide but the clock doesn't.

Linux Engineer
    Right click on a panel>Configure Panel and select the appropriate panel from the 'Settings for:' dropdown.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by a thing
    Right click on a panel>Configure Panel and select the appropriate panel from the 'Settings for:' dropdown.
    For some reason, even with the correct panel selecting in the "Settings for:" menu, changing anything under the "Appearance" tab affects all three panels. That's the problem I was having: changing the transparency settings for one panel affects them all. It seems to me this should be a bug; the "Arrangement" and "Hiding" tabs both apply only to the selected panel.