Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Originally Posted by Cabhan I use Fluxbox with Rox Filer, and it works wonderfully. I even use Rox in Gnome and KDE, because I love it so much. Not to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

ROX desktop questions **solved**

Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan
    I use Fluxbox with Rox Filer, and it works wonderfully. I even use Rox in Gnome and KDE, because I love it so much.
    Not to go completely off topic, but how do change the background image for your desktop with ROX filer?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacKuo
    ROX filer doesn't do anything with the background image. It's just the filer. I use ROX filer, but have never bothered even installing any other ROX components.
    Ah. So apparently there's another ROX component that gives me the desktop I'm seeing in VectorLinux?
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Engineer
    AFAIK Rox filer does take care of your background. I installed it too on Xfce, to have icons on the desktop, and you can change the background it has.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

And how might I do that? Is there a config file I need to edit somewhere?
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Engineer
    I'm sorry, I switched back to the iconless xfce4 desktop a long time ago. How is Rox launched? I used the command rox-desktop. Browsing the Zenwalk forum I found my own posts about backgrounds with Rox, so it is definitely possible. I am not hallucinating . However I can't find any pointers on how to do it.

The ROX FAQ says:
    Right click on the desktop background. Choose Backdrop... from the bottom of the menu. Drag an image in.

If no background image is set, the colour set in the Options box is used (choose ROX-Filer/Options... from the menu).

You can use Wallpaper to select a random backdrop image at regular intervals, and for other interesting effects.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    I'm sorry, I switched back to the iconless xfce4 desktop a long time ago. How is Rox launched? I used the command rox-desktop. Browsing the Zenwalk forum I found my own posts about backgrounds with Rox, so it is definitely possible. I am not hallucinating . However I can't find any pointers on how to do it.
    "rox-desktop" launches the whole Rox desktop suite. I only use ROX filer, and I launch it with "rox-filer". There are a bunch of options in the ROX filer "options" dialog which do absolutely nothing on my system because of this. I don't care, I only want a file browser.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Linux Engineer
    Well... I was about to post this from the ROX homepage:

GettingStartedGuide/English/2
    # [#The desktop background]
    !!! #[The desktop background]
    Maybe you're getting bored with that plain grey background now? There are several things you can do with the desktop background.
    First, you can use it just like a panel; drag things onto the background (called the 'pinboard') to create shortcuts to them.
    Secondly, you can choose an image for the background. Click Menu (right button) over the pinboard and choose *Backdrop...* from the menu. Drag an image file from a filer window into the box that appears to set the image. You can choose *Display->Show Thumbnails* from the filer's popup menu to make it display a preview of each image file, as shown in this screenshot.
    In fact, it's not just the background image you can change. You use themes to control all aspects of the desktop.
    Click on *Apps* and then on *Configure*, which is actually just a directory with an image set for it (you can give any directory an icon by opening the menu over it and choosing *Set Icon...*). The LookAndFeel application can be used to control many aspects of the desktop, and the themes subdirectory contains themes for your window manager.

But I guess I'm too late

Not at all, thanks for the info.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Using rox in various ways

if you want launch the rox filemanager, the command is simply 'rox'

if you only want to use the backdrop and desktop icon portions (pinboard) of rox,
    the command is 'rox -p=profilename' where profilename is anything you make up. If you want to have this automatically started when you start fluxbox, icewm, xfce, etc. you'll have to consult their documentation.

i guess 'rox-desktop' launches rox in window-manger and pinboard mode?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast