Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm using Fluxbox 0.9.11 with Debian 3.1. The problem is that I use a very high resolution display, and so I want to use large 18 point fonts. I've tried ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How to change Fluxbox fonts?

I'm using Fluxbox 0.9.11 with Debian 3.1. The problem is that I use a very high resolution display, and so I want to use large 18 point fonts.

I've tried copying/modifying the "Clean" theme as a starting point (as root). I can successfully modify many things, but nothing I do to change the fonts works one bit. I've tried using xfontsel to come up with a fontname, but it doesn't work at all.

Any ideas? Has anyone here successfully changed the fonts used? Thanks!

[edit: added:]
    I have found that by turning "anti-aliasing" off, that I can get some fonts to work, like Courier and Helvetica. I still haven't gotten any anti-aliased fonts to work.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

I saw that you didn't get a reply to your question, so I tried my Google skills and found this link.

It mentions that you can open up your theme in a text editor and change the font size in there. This may help ... On the other hand
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Thanks! That worked perfectly!

The relevant part was:
    Look for a line like this:

*font: somefont-bold-12

and change it to

*font: Luxi Sans:size=9
    Unfortunately, the font setting syntax for anti-aliased and non-anti-aliased fonts are completely different. If the setting works with anti-aliasing turned on, it won't work with anti-aliasing turned off (and vice-versa).

Oh well, I'll just leave anti-aliasing turned on. This lets me match fonts with my applications.

Thanks again!
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Hello - Pleased that worked. Anti-aliasing generally makes your fonts look smoother (as you will know) ...

Great stuff
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso