Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
hey fellas, first, thank you all for your much needed help. seconed, thank you Chris H for your easy way to do it and i like to tell you that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

hey fellas,
    first, thank you all for your much needed help.
    seconed, thank you Chris H for your easy way to do it and i like to tell you that it worked fine and i have installed those drivers, n' they're working great - thanx again buddy.

again thank you all for your help and i would like to draw your attention to the fact that this is my first thing to be installed on my 1st linux... and man it feels great!
    i will be on a business trip for i don't know how much -maybe a week or more, but i won't be able to use my newly installed linux during that period and i won't be able to post any new posts.
    maybe i'll read some of the RedHat guides i printed out when i have some time to.

hope to see you back in a good shape fellas,
    XT
    Registered Linux User # 368300 at Linux Counter

Linux Newbie
    hey hows it going?

when you start up the computer does it say "failsafe" or "safemode" or something like that?
    if it does select that and it shoud start you without the x windows thing then cd to the directory that the file is at (ie if its at /ect/something type " cd /ect/something " (just incase you dindn't know)) then type " sh fullfilname " than follow the onscreen instructions and youll be done in no time ^_^

good luck
    Thanks v much

\"Anything bigger than my ego i want it caught and killed\"- Zaphod Beeblebrox

Multi boot:
    Win xp home, SuSE 8.2 and Slackware 9.1

a suggestion for anybody else who wants to go down this road. Read the Installation notes on the NVIDIA web site. They explain all of this.

have fun

Nerderello
    ps. I made the same mistake, which is how I know about needing to read the install notes

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Linux Engineer
    Won't always help though. The notes are pretty specific about installing the drivers. Biggest problem is that they ask you to make sure the x-server isn't running. A lot of people (me included) don't necessarily know what the x-server is, let alone how to stop it. And it's distro specific. The other bit about the notes is that they mention editing the XFree86 config file from text mode - something I haven't yet learnt to do, and don't particulary want to
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!

Me having problems installing NVIDIA drivers

hey guys, been trying to do two things. First and fore most is trying to get my damn 3c2000 eth card to werk but so far no go!

Lets get to topic here.

I tried installing the same drivers from above and everything went fine till the point of reboot.

When rebooting my RH 9.0, I got to the splash screen but... the splash would disapear and then reaper after a few seconds.... this would loop for ever... in between splash screans, the prompt would show up for maybe a second. I would try my best to type fast and log in as what ever and then invoce startx... X would try to load in between the splash screen and finaly it would stop the splash and give me an error message. Since I'm new to Linux, I could not fix the problem so I just reinstalled the thing. I had forgoten to edit the XFfree86 file ( i know it aint' the right spelling ) so i tried to edit it after the fact of the splash loop, by changing 'nv' to 'NVIDIA' but it still did not work.

Can anyone give me some insight?

I'm an ELITE nOOB TO LINUX SO GO EASY ON ME

Linux Engineer
    Birdofprey, I'm pretty certain you need lowercase for 'nvidia'
    ?
    HTH
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!
    Ok here is an update... I had forgoten to update one of the configuration files. So what I did was reinstall Red Had 9.0 from scratch...

I installed the driver following the directions from Nvidia to the letter. It worked, well at least I think it worked because I get the splash screan now and x loads but... Now i can't change resolutions... I'm stuck in 1024 x 768. I had gotten used to using 1280 x 1024 with linux... I have not tested any games because have not gotten enough knowledge to try installing a game yet.. ie: have not been able to install sound drivers for ABIT IS7 ( onboard AC97 ) Once I figure out how to get sound gonnna try installing Americas Army and Counter Strike.

So summing up:

I can't change resolutions!!! Drivers for Nvidia Geforece 4 MX440 intalled! don't know if games will run!

Edit: Still have not been able to run 3c2000 Ethernet card. ( onbord ethernet in ABIT IS7 mobo... if anyone can help please thanks... there is another thread going about this issue but i'm too drunk right now to find it and let you all know where it is... please do a search on 3c2000! sorry about the drunk park Hey its Saturday... what is a guy supposed to do eh???? PARTY RIGHT

Anyway guys thanks very much... I'll be back on Sunday probably to check the thread....

Just Joined!
    Here is the link to the other tread

http://www.this_site_does_not_exist/...hp?p=9988#9988

If anyone has any input, it would be much apreciated!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2