Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been trying to install linux with dual monitors 2 LCD monitors one being digital without much luck. Most of the documents I have seen refer to stopping the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

x.org server starting and stoping

I have been trying to install linux with dual monitors 2 LCD monitors one being digital without much luck. Most of the documents I have seen refer to stopping the server and compiling the drivers, I am using a dual head Nvidia card. The problem is I am having a problem stopping the server then restarting it again. I have looked everywhere to try and find the commands but have not seen them. I have been trying Ubuntu and Fedora Core 4 which both use x.org but don't seem to have the same command for starting and stopping the server. Is there a command which is used for both and if so what is it. If not is there a way to find what the server is and being able to create the needed command with that information?

Thanks

If you're currently in X, you can type:
    Code:
    Ctrl+Alt+Backspace
    to restart X.

Linux Engineer
    Ctrl+Alt+Backspace just kills the server. You can also do killall X, or the logout thing for your window manager/desktop enviornment.

For configuring XOrg on Fedora, system-config-display has something for dual screens.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by a thing
    Ctrl+Alt+Backspace just kills the server.
    Depending on whether or not you're in a WM or not, Ctrl-Alt-Backspace can restart it as well.

Linux Engineer
    Or log out of your graphical session, switch to a terminal and type # init 3 .
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **