Find the answer to your Linux question:
this may be a strange question, but can I run an X window program without having to install a window manager? i dont need a desktop environment or anything, i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mabye a strange question....

this may be a strange question, but can I run an X window program without having to install a window manager? i dont need a desktop environment or anything, i just have one single program i need to use, and it happens to be a gui program. (this is on a webserver, so obviously i dont want to install anymore than i absolutely have to)

Linux Guru
    I bet that you probably can. For most Linux graphical programs, the graphics is just a front end for the program. If you name the one you want to use, others familiar with it could probably be more helpful.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    well, i'm trying to set up BRU Server (backup and recovery utility), and i need to use the gui for just about anything, because its command line interface is almost entirely undocumented.

i'm running debian 3.1, and i tried 'apt-get install x-window-system' recently...now, the logon at the local terminal is in an x-window (which i'd prefer to keep as command line). again, the only thing i need or want xwindows for is the BRU interface. update: ok, i fixed the login problem, just removed xdm from the runtime.

additionally, does anyone know of a good win32 telnet/ssh client that i would be able to use said x-window program remotely?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Solution

You can use Putty, get it at http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/.../x86/putty.exe
    but u can't join at remotly X mode, i Recommend to you install BlackBox.
    BlackBox its a little X, just use like 8ram.

Code:
    apt-get install Blackbox