Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am having some troubles logging into my graphical screen. I am using icewm. The login screen shows up but when I enter my login and password the screen goes ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't login to Icewm, starts to login but kicks me out

I am having some troubles logging into my graphical screen. I am using icewm. The login screen shows up but when I enter my login and password the screen goes blank and after a few seconds goes back to the login screen. I have tried rebooting, using different logins, etc, but haven't had any luck. I am not sure what do try next. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Linux Enthusiast
    It would be a lot easier if you told us what error message you get, if you do, and distro. It could be that you didnt configure X properly, try xorgcfg or xf86cfg, or config, instead of cfg at the end of those two.

Just Joined!
    Sorry....I am on Redhat 6.2 and I am not getting any errors. I have tried to reconfigure Xconfigurator without any luck. Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredhanks
    ....I am on Redhat 6.2...
    Any reason why you're using a 5 year old distro? That could most possibly be your problem. My first instinic would be to say it's bug, and since you're using such an old distro, I wouldn't doubt it.

Also, whenever that happens, type [CTRL]+[ATL]+[F1] and tell us if there's any errors there.

I've used 6.2 and it *can* be configured to look really nice, but later versions or RH and Fedora make configuration so much easier. I'd recommend updating to FC 2 or 3. About your problem, it does indeed sound like an 'X' problem, and I can't remember if 6.2 has the configuration tools of later versions. Open a terminal, become root and try...
    Code:
    redhat-config-xfree86
    Try to match up your video card and monitor, but if you have later hardware, it's not gonna show up in 6.2's hardware list. Again... think FC 2 or 3.
    I believe you can get to a terminal while at gdm, (where you are) by pressing CTRL ALT F1.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    I was able to get this fixed. Somehow /etc/pam.d/xdm was overwritten, so I just replaced it with the correct file and was able to fix it. Thanks for the all the suggestions.