Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed fluxbox on my Debian(testing) system. Log back in and get just the slit. Here is where my stupidity comes in. How do I make a menu? or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Fluxbox - am I stupid?

I just installed fluxbox on my Debian(testing) system. Log back in and get just the slit. Here is where my stupidity comes in. How do I make a menu? or even get a terminal? Do I have to do something in Gnome first?

When I right click on the desktop I get just "Fluxbox" and it doesn't do anything if I try to click on it. If I left click on the desktop I get nothing. If I right click on the slit I get the option to change my time and rename my workspaces and other options related to the slit. What am I missing?
    "If you are out to describe the truth leave elegance to the tailor."
    -Einstein

That's the taskbar, not the slit.

As far as making a menu, right-click on the desktop, go to "fluxbox menu" and click "Fluxbox Command". This will allow you to execute a command. Open a terminal (xterm, aterm, Eterm, etc.).

The file you're gonna need to create is ~/.fluxbox/menu. You also may have a tool that automatically generates this file (which you can then modify). Check for a command called "fluxbox-generate_menu".

If, for some reason, you have no "fluxbox menu" in the right-click menu, open a virtual terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F2), and run the generate menu command from there.

While Fluxbox does require some initial configuration, it is by far my favorite WM. Especially the customizable menu.

Just Joined!
    If you use Debian, you should already have a Debian menu in Fluxbox, if you installed using APT...

As far as making a menu, right-click on the desktop, go to "fluxbox menu" and click "Fluxbox Command". This will allow you to execute a command. Open a terminal (xterm, aterm, Eterm, etc.).
    Don't get even that and I apparently do not have fluxbox-generate_menu as it does not work in virtual terminal.

If you use Debian, you should already have a Debian menu in Fluxbox, if you installed using APT...
    I installed using apt with no bugs noted. This is where I am at. There is no Debian menu.

It looks as though my menu file is not correct or corrupted. Is there a generic example somewhere that will at least give me access to a terminal. I can still go back into Gnome and edit the file.
    -Einstein

If you want a *very* basic menu put this in your ~/.fluxbox/menu file:
    Code:
    [begin] (fluxbox)
            [exec] (xterm) {xterm}
    [end]
    If you want a small tutorial on fluxbox menus read: http://www.linuxforums.org/tutorials...ial-28252.html
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Ok, I think I am on my way. It appears that I wasn't using "{ }" and instead "( )". Some info I found on elewhere had the brackets as parenths.
    Thanks all.
    -Einstein

Linux Newbie
    It looks like you need to install the package "menu"
    menu creates the fluxbox menu automatically, and updates it when you add/remove packages
    Help me getting a Opera licence
    Beginning with debian? -> read THIS!

You know I tried to add the menu package but it did not do what it was supposed to. I didn't get any bugs listed when I apt-get'd. So I don't know what happened. I'll just have to create it all by hand.
    -Einstein