Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by Game master pro Now i have a funky little icon called idesk on my desktop that i can move around =D, but it doesnt do anything when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by Game master pro
    Now i have a funky little icon called idesk on my desktop that i can move around =D, but it doesnt do anything when i clikc on it. How do you add more icons
    If you look at the bottom of the last link I gave you you can see the configuration file (home.lnk) that you need to put into your .idesktop folder to create a little icon that will open your home directory. You will of course need to modify it a little to point to your home folder (/home/game_master_pro or whatever), and to use your favourite file manager (change nautilus to rox or konqueror or whatever you use).

Copying and pasting from the command line is easy if you have a 2-button mouse. Simply highlight the text you wanna copy, then go to the place you want to put it, and click both buttons at the same time. This should paste the highlighted text for you.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Ok, i got adding icons to work in fluxbox, i have a home and firefox icon that opens firefox, and opens my home (/home/gmp) directory with rox, whoo this is easy, i'll try getting it working in xfce, i think the new version of idesk fixed that problem where you need to sacrifice your menu thingy

I've been readnig, and noticed that it is possible to use rox to get icons, but HOW do you do it, can someone please help me here? or using idesk in xfce

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    bumpplz

Fluxspace does something with Rox to make desktop icons. I've never used it and don't know how it works, but you might take a look:

http://fluxspace.sourceforge.net/

Thanks for the link, i installed that after install some swig thing (im getting better at compling stuff, whoo) ok, i run it inside fluxbox and it has a little calander thing on the screen, which is kinda pointless, but i have icons now in flux whoo, (not with fluxspace but with idesk) it works fine, but how do i change the background, i can't seem to work out how, and where can i get more styles for fluxbox, any, like, oficiol sites like fluxbox-look.org or something?

More styles?

http://www.fluxbox.org/themes.php

As far as a background, the command is:
    Code:
    fbsetbg -f <filename>
    If you want to execute a wallpaper to show up whenever you start Fluxbox, add the following line to your ~/.fluxbox/init file:
    Code:
    session.screen0.rootCommand&#58;    fbsetbg -f <filename>

OK thanks, got that working, now i want to try and get icons in xfce

i have done some googling and have the same problem as here > http://www.os-cillation.de/cgi-bin/y...num=1111794512 <

how can i "kill xfdesktop" does anyone know?

Code:
    ps aux | grep xfdesktop
    Check for whatever the PID is, then run:
    Code:
    kill <pid>

Linux Newbie
    Hum, I'm pretty sure the vectorlinux.com guys have icons with their xfce setup...maybe you could find some material over there.

(FYI, in case you aren't familiar with VectorLinux, VL is based on SW)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2