Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I don't know what dsl uses, but i know it has icons on it, like terminal and firefox icons that you can move around. Someone said to use Rox, so ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Can you have desktop icons in fluxbox

I don't know what dsl uses, but i know it has icons on it, like terminal and firefox icons that you can move around. Someone said to use Rox, so idownloaded it and installed it, it just seems to be a little window thing, like konqueror. i don't see how you get icons with it, can someone shed some light please?

Linux Engineer
    You should kill the fluxbox desktop manager, and fire up rox. That should work.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

I'm just working on this right now. You need to get something called idesk, and make sure it is run in the .fluxbox/startup file. Here's the website. There's also some information on it in the gentoo website, and in the gentoo forums.

Have a look and see what you think. If you need any help just give me a shout, cos I just got it up and working on my gentoo system.

Good luck
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    You should kill the fluxbox desktop manager, and fire up rox. That should work.
    I don't know what you mean, how do i actually use rox as a window manager, i can just run it from terminal by typing "rox". When i type xwmconfig its not in there, how do i use it?

And i'll try the idesk but im not using gentoo, im using slack, i dont know if that will make a difference.

I really think idesk is what you want. It allows you to define the background for fluxbox, as well as to define a load of desktop icons which can be set to look and behave however you want. It take a reasonable amount of manual configuration to get it up and running, but once you've got started you'll find it's actually pretty easy.
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII

I downloaded it but i have yet to install it. Is there a help file somewhere on there, i can't seem to find anything useful actually telling me how to use it

The one I used is here. It's pretty easy to figure out once you get this going.

Ok, i tried installing it, and it spat out some errors

Code:
    checking for imlib2-config ... no
    checking for imlib2...no
    *** The imlib2-config installed by imlib2 could not be found
    *** If imlib2 was installed in PREFIX make sure PREFIX/bin is in
    *** your path, or set the IMLIB2_CONFIG enviroment variable
    *** to imlib2-config
    configure: error: cannot find imlib2: is imlib2-config in the path?
    you need imlib2 to build idesk. Verifying that you have imlib2.
    sh-3.00$ make
    make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
    sh-3.00$
    im annoyed becaus i had to type all that out, how do you copy from terminal, it wont let me >:{

Also, why didn't it work?

Ok, i have got it working, after installing imlib2 from linuxpackages.net the ./configure actually worked, so did the make and make install, so now i have it working first time i tried it it said i needed to make a ~/.idesktop dir, so i just went mkdir /home/gmp/.idesktop and it worked. Now i have a funky little icon called idesk on my desktop that i can move around =D, but it doesnt do anything when i clikc on it. How do you add more icons, and another question, i like fluxbox, but its just too simple for me, i prefer xfce, can i get it working it that aswell?

Linux Engineer
    A quick google: http://www.os-cillation.de/cgi-bin/y...num=1111794512

Seems to be some problems with idesk and xfce, but it can be solved if you're willing to give away your desktop menu and backdrop configuration... There might be some other soulotion aswell, but I've only used idesk under fluxbox, so I dunno how to do it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast