Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just can't seem to get it right. I'm on a Debian system. The first time I installed it, I just specified I wanted to do a "Desktop Environment" install, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Customizing GNOME

I just can't seem to get it right. I'm on a Debian system. The first time I installed it, I just specified I wanted to do a "Desktop Environment" install, which installs a bunch of uneeded crap. I had to re-install due to some issues and decided to just specify what to install. Now, I can't seem to get the themes working right.

The issue goes something like this: whenever I apply a new theme, which would change everything, including the way buttons look, doesn't change how the buttons look. This gets some pretty weird looking buttons whenever I go over them with the mouse. I'm sure I'm missing some sort of theme engine, but I really don't know which one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Linux Enthusiast
    Just an FYI, I got it fixed, but I have no idea what actually did it. When I installed gnome, I only got the "gnome-core" package, which leaves out a lot of packages, and one of them fixed it. I can't pin point which one it is, but I guess you need the "gnome" package, and not "gnome-core" if you want eyecandy.

Just Joined!
    i did the same thing, installed the gnome package via aptitude and for some reason other unnecessary packages (e.g., games, accessibility, etc) got installed too even if i didn't select them. i'm trying to uninstall them but to no avail. it seems games and stuffs are tied up to the gnome desktop environment. anyone here know a work around to remove them?