Find the answer to your Linux question:
i'm new to linux and i'm having a hard time installing gnome. i'm using debian sarge and i already have the x window system. in the xterm window, i type ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

can't install gnome

i'm new to linux and i'm having a hard time installing gnome.
    i'm using debian sarge and i already have the x window system.
    in the xterm window, i type in "apt-get install gnome" but it doesn't get to finish fetching the files. i checked our connection and it's ok. using "apt-get update" doesn't help either.

any other way of installing gnome? a colleague suggested that i try a different server or try to get gnome from one of the cd installers, but i don't know how to do it (i.e., change the source of the files).

Well, if possible, try getting a different WM/DE up first. Once you have an alt up, then you can graphically tackle the problem, which makes it a lot easier. Also, try going on the web and manually downloading and compiling gnome yourself.

Just Joined!
    finally managed to install gnome. i changed ftp source in the the /etc/apt/source.list and the fetching went fine.

now that i'm booting in the gnome, how do i change the way i log on to the system so that i get booted into a command line instead of being presented with the gnome logon box? i tried changing the runlevel from 2 (default) to 3, but the graphical logon is still there. i'm using debian and someone hinted that it has a different way of implementing this. also, how do i go to the gnome desktop from that command line, is it still by typing "startx" ?

conversely, when i'm already in the gnome environment, how do i exit it and be on a purely command line mode (not the gnome terminal/console window)?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    "
    conversely, when i'm already in the gnome environment, how do i exit it and be on a purely command line mode (not the gnome terminal/console window)?"

You press CTRL + ALT + BACKSPACE

Remember this, because its the linux way of emergincy exiting of X and you might need to use it often, or when you can't be bothered logging out.

As of the other 2 question i dont know because i dont use debian

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Game master pro
    "

You press CTRL + ALT + BACKSPACE

Remember this, because its the linux way of emergincy exiting of X and you might need to use it often, or when you can't be bothered logging out.
    thanks for the very handy tip.
    unfortunately, it only exited/logged me out of the current gnome session and brought me back to the gnome logon box - still within the X / GNOME enviroment. i was hoping i could get out entirely of the GUI environment and into the command line.