Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I log on to my desktop in gnome. It takes an awful long time to see the desktop. Usually 3-5 minutes. I dont know what it could be. If ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

slow to log on

When I log on to my desktop in gnome. It takes an awful long time to see the desktop. Usually 3-5 minutes. I dont know what it could be. If I log on as any other user it logs on quickly.

any ideas on where to check?

There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world, and that is an idea whose time has come.
    —Victor Hugo

Start the login, then switch to a virtual terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F2) and run the "ps aux" command. This will show you all processes running and how much CPU each is taking. See if there's anything that's taking an obscene amount.

Linux Newbie
    Interesting troubleshooting technique. I will attempt this. Thanks BROHAM!
    There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world, and that is an idea whose time has come.
    —Victor Hugo

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Ok, I'm having a similar issue, except mine is taking much longer that 3-5 min. I tried what you suggested, the Ctrl+Alt+F2, and then ps aux, but nothing is eating up alot of cpu or memory. It also takes a long time to logoff from X. Any other ideas?