Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well here is the problem and I will try to give as much info as I can... I am using xfce4-svn, I was editing the menu with the graphical menu ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

xfce4 menu problems

Well here is the problem and I will try to give as much info as I can...

I am using xfce4-svn, I was editing the menu with the graphical menu editor and somehow I did something and now I have no menu when I right click. I am not sure exactly what I did to cause this.

I added a menu button to the panel but when I click on that, there is nothing there. If I click on the edit menu button it loads the graphical editor but there is no menu there to edit.

Can anyone tell me how to get my menu back?

Here is the menu file when viewed from a text editor. Im not sure if this will help or not but here it is...

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <xfdesktop-menu>
    	<title name="Desktop Menu" visible="no"
    	<separator visible="no"/>
    	<app name="Run Program..." cmd="xfrun4" icon="/home/archangel/Gant.Xfce/48x48/xfce/xfwm42.png"/>
    	<separator/>
    	<app name="Terminal" cmd="xfterm4" icon="/home/archangel/Gant.Xfce/48x48/apps/aterm.png"/>
    	<app name="Thunar" cmd="thunar" icon="/home/archangel/Gant.Xfce/48x48/stock/gtk-home.png"/>
    	<app name="Firefox" cmd="firefox" icon="/home/archangel/Gant.Xfce/48x48/apps/firefox.png"/>
    	<separator/>
    	<menu name="Settings" icon="/home/archangel/Gant.Xfce/48x48/xfce/xfce-utils.png">
    		<app name="Settings Manager" cmd="xfce-setting-show" icon="gnome-settings"/>
    	</menu>
    	<separator/>
    	<menu name="Graphics" icon="/home/archangel/Gant.Xfce/48x48/xfce/xfce-graphics.png">
    	<menu name="Network" icon="/home/archangel/Gant.Xfce/48x48/stock/gtk-network.png">
    		<app name="Firefox" cmd="firefox"/>
    		<app name="Gaim" cmd="gaim"/>
    		<app name="Xchat" cmd="xchat"/>
    	</menu>
    	<include type="system" unique="true" legacy="true" visible="no"/>
    	<menu name="System" icon="/home/archangel/Gant.Xfce/48x48/xfce/xfce-system.png">
    		<app name="Conky" cmd="conky"/>
    		<app name="Pypanel" cmd="pypanel"/>
    	</menu>
    	<separator/>
    	<app name="Help" cmd="xfhelp4" visible="no" icon="/home/archangel/Gant.Xfce/48x48/stock/gtk-help.png"/>
    	<builtin name="Quit" cmd="quit" icon="/home/archangel/Gant.Xfce/48x48/stock/gtk-quit.png"/>
    </xfdesktop-menu>
    I dont see anything wrong but I dont really know what to look for

Thanks for any help,

Joe

what you are actually missing is the auto generated menu from the actual distro. Basically programs are supposed to follow free desktop menu spec which should be based on what is in
    Code:
    /usr/share/applications/
    There should be some program on arch that makes the menu for you. On debian it is update-menus, but it has been a while since I have used arch so I don't know about it. You might try
    http://www.archlinux.org/packages.php?id=8709
    http://www.archlinux.org/packages.php?id=958
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Just Joined!
    Well I already had the archlinux-menu program installed and I installed the menumaker program but I still have no menu. Is there something else I needed to do with it other than just install it?

Thanks,
    Joe

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    according to the menumaker site you need to run
    Code:
    mmaker x_window_manager
    you also might try changing
    Code:
    <include type="system" unique="true" legacy="true" visible="no"/>
    to being visible with yes
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Just Joined!
    I got the menu back using menumaker but now I can edit it. If I change anything it disapperes again. Go any ideas on how to change that?

Thanks for the help nonetheless

Joe

Just Joined!
    Well I got my original menu working again. Turns out I had to add a couple /'s and what not to the XML stuff I posted above.

Thanks for the help Vergil83, I appreciate it.

Joe

lol, just realised I am now a site admin. Now what to do with my new found authority
    Last edited by JoeC; 12-19-2005 at 01:47 PM.