Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I noticed that on the 21rst X 7.0 came out. Currently there is no pre-build binary. I am curious how I em suppose to update my Mandriva 2006 system. Thanks, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Update to 7.0

I noticed that on the 21rst X 7.0 came out.
    Currently there is no pre-build binary.
    I am curious how I em suppose to update my Mandriva 2006 system.

Thanks,
    Halsafar

I see only two options:
    1. Wait until somebody comes out with an rpm, and until then live with xorg-x11-6.9
    2. Compile it from source ( it is a lengthy compile, however )

Just Joined!
    I'd love to compile the source however there is no existing tar that I could find. Instead I find each individual file at the x.org download page. That would require hours of manual downloading lol.

I have upgraded to Xorg 7.0. Gentoo has it in their repositories (it is beta software and hard masked though). It is also now modular on Gentoo, so you only install what you need.

IMO it is faster and more stable than the previous versions, and transparency is a lot more stable.

You find each individual file because it is now a modular release, meaning you install only what you need. No more monolithic builds. This is a good thing.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Quote Originally Posted by gruven
    You find each individual file because it is now a modular release, meaning you install only what you need. No more monolithic builds. This is a good thing.
    I've heard the arguments, but I still hope and think that somebody out there will take the individiual tarballs and make a big monolithic one for the guys like me who like a huge source tree

Quote Originally Posted by lakerdonald
    I've heard the arguments, but I still hope and think that somebody out there will take the individiual tarballs and make a big monolithic one for the guys like me who like a huge source tree
    I am willing to bet that most of the distributions out there will make a monolithic build of some sort. Gentoo won't, because there is really no reason to do so in Gentoo.

They went the modular way to distribute the project more. If you do happen to get a monolithic build, it will have to be distro specific and maintained within the distro. The modular release will be easier on compile times and bug fixing. Maybe we will get more updates and bugfixes now.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Being the maintainer of a package manager, when I write the package for xorg-x11-7.0 I'll probably do it modularly. But for my personal builds, I'm a mono- type guy.

On a side note, I just read that 6.9 and 7.0 are identical releases, meaning they are the same source, except that 6.9 is made using imake, and 7.0 is not.

The first major version release of the X Window System in more than a decade, X11R7.0 is the first release of the complete modularized and autotooled source code base for the X Window System. X11R6.9, its companion release, contains identical features, and uses the exact same source code as X11R7.0, but with the traditional imake build system.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!
    Modular eh, okay so what if I want to upgrade everything?
    Is there any simplified way?

Quote Originally Posted by Halsafar
    Modular eh, okay so what if I want to upgrade everything?
    Is there any simplified way?
    Unless you want to compile it from source and risk your system, then I would just wait until Mandriva released the RPM's for it.

Or, download the tarballs, and make your own RPM's for the modular builds.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast