Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Ok, i am making a new thead cuz my situation has changed. Well i installed the ATI driver, and i was pretty disappinted and i need some help getting it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

ATI Driver Problems

Ok, i am making a new thead cuz my situation has changed. Well i installed the ATI driver, and i was pretty disappinted and i need some help getting it to work.

-First off, the graphical installer was very nice, except for the fact, that most of the actual set up process is not graphical.

-Second of all, i installed it and i was not able to access the ati control application. Has anyone had this issue before? I click on it, i wait a while, and then nothing happens. I imagine that i am going to need to open this in order to change my resolution.

-Third of all, it put links for the ATI control panel in everyplace except for the correct one (Applications > System tools)Now I have one in the Applications menu, one on the desktop menu, one in Desktop > System Settings and one in Desktop > System Settings > Server Settings menu. Why so many?

-The only positive thing that i noticed, was that i was able to increase my frame rate. That may be because it was at a very low resolution, but it did seem to help.

Currently i replaced the new Xorgconfig file with my old one (which i thankfully backed up before completing the ATI installation), and i don't know what to do to get this ATI control panel to work when i click on it. Also, i wonder if i could have made a mistake when i was setting up fglrxconfig. Any help would be appereciated.

even when you do get it, any changes you make from it, generally dont take effect. basically, in rare occurences the ati driver will work for you, but id say that after trying every version for the last year; its a write off. dont bother wasting any more time on it.
    if you want to game, go nvidia
    You know, aliens are going to come to earth in 50 years and kill the hell out of us for DDoSing their networks with this SETI crap
    registered linux user #388463

Yeah, i figured that out too. The next question that i have, is how do I uninstall this driver? No one, not even ATI support seems to know. Please help, thanks.

you should be able to find the fglrx modules itself by running the:

Code:
    modprobe -l
    as root. Then you can remove the module by running

Code:
    rmmod fglrx
    then you can manually delete all instances of the module by using rm /location/of/module/command
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

You don't really uninstall the driver; you just tell X to use a different one.
    If you get an Nvidia card later, just install its drivers and they'll change the symlinks to the GL libraries.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

thanks for the suggestions guys, but two issues. First off, i am having a little trouble with modprobe -l
    The list is too long to see all at once, and i can't find a way to filter it down to just display.
    secondly, if i use the rmmodule, will that uninstall the driver completely, including all the links that were created in my applications menu?

This driver also screwed up my system-config-display so that i can't open it anymore, and my screen won't shut off anymore now, even though power managment is enabled. So will disabling the module fix this?

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommaso
    ...i am having a little trouble with modprobe -l
    The list is too long to see all at once, and i can't find a way to filter it down to just display.
    you can save the output to file and then use more to display the file:
    Code:
     pavlo@linux:~> /sbin/modprobe -l > /home/pavlo/modprobe_output.txt
    pavlo@linux:~> more /home/pavlo/modprobe_output.txt

There are two neat tricks you can use to find the module in the list. First, you can scroll through the terminal output by holding the shift key while hitting page up/page down or arrow up/down. Second, you can pipe the output through grep to just show output that matches what you want.
    Code:
    modprobe -l |grep fglrx
    That character before "grep" is the pipe (shift+backslash on my keyboard), and it takes the modprobe output and runs it through the grep command. Grep filters its input to find matches for whatever word follows "grep" (in this case, fglrx). So the above command shows you what modules exist with "fglrx" in the name.

I'd like to stress again, though, that none of this is necessary. If you just specify another video driver in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (or graphical setup program), then the fglrx module won't be used.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommaso
    This driver also screwed up my system-config-display so that i can't open it anymore, and my screen won't shut off anymore now, even though power managment is enabled. So will disabling the module fix this?
    try to reconfigure your X:
    Code:
    setup
    and choose X configuration

Once again guys, i would like to thank you for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelmo
    I'd like to stress again, though, that none of this is necessary. If you just specify another video driver in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (or graphical setup program), then the fglrx module won't be used.
    I actually restored the xorg.conf file that i had on my system before i installed the ATI driver, and i am still have problems with power management and system-config-display.

Quote Originally Posted by pavlo_7
    try to reconfigure your X:
    Code:
    setup
    and choose X configuration
    I might try doing that, even though i am not sure it will help, since i have alread restored a previously perfect xorg.conf file.

As for all your other posts, thanks for showing my how to use grep Zelmo, and thanks for showing me how to export outputs to a file pavlo_7.

Before i remove the ATI from the modules list, it has come to my attenstion through anouther forum that you can uninstall fglrx through a file called fgrlx-uninstall.sh located in /usr/share/fglrx/ . How would you go about executing this uninstaller?

This might be the first thing i will do. If that doesn't work, then i will try to reconfigure X. If that fails too, then i will try to remove the ATI driver from the loaded modules. How does this plan sound to you guys?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast