Find the answer to your Linux question:
Typically i've been using the GTK-QT engine to keep all GTK apps. (Firefox, Thunderbird, et al.) looking suitable. However, in Firefox, on some pages i end up with white writing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

GTK in KDE

Typically i've been using the GTK-QT engine to keep all GTK apps. (Firefox, Thunderbird, et al.) looking suitable. However, in Firefox, on some pages i end up with white writing on a white background which causes trouble so i've set the GTK items to use different themes via the KDE Control Center.

The problem is that, despite there being about a dozen or so GTK themes to choose from, most of them don't seem to work and leave GTK apps. with my QT settings. Or they end up looking W95-like (with no visible difference between themes).

i've upgraded to the latest QT/GTK via YaST - do they work well together as above? How do you actually install GTK themes in KDE?
    Registered Linux User #379728

SuSE 10.3 :: Athlon XP 3000+ :: AsRock K7VT4A Pro :: Nvidia Geforce 6600GT :: C-Media 8738

www.psypherpunk.org.uk

How do you actually install GTK themes in KDE?
    easy peasy. i always install gtk themes for system-wide availability. that is, i always place them in /opt/gnome/share/themes. themes usually come as a gz or a bz2, so unzip them into a temp location. then fire up a terminal and use 'su' to gain root privilages and then 'cp' to copy them to /opt/gnome/share/themes. actually, my linux is box is not connected to the internet, so i usually log in as root to use konquereror(in root, KDE is the one that i use) to copy the themes to /opt/gnome/share/themes....but thats not the most advisable method because its easy to screw up if logged in as root.

Quote Originally Posted by GNOME_n00b
    so i usually log in as root to use konquereror
    A helpful hint for you, try:
    Code:
    kdesu konqueror
    This will ask for your root password and then launch konqueror as root .

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by bryansmith
    A helpful hint for you, try:
    Code:
    kdesu konqueror
    This will ask for your root password and then launch konqueror as root .

Bryan
    i'll try that. cheers for the tip