Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey all, Once in a while, when I had tried GNOME, it would freeze at the GNOME splash screen. There is no way to get around it. I remember reading ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

GNOME freezing at splash screen

Hey all,

Once in a while, when I had tried GNOME, it would freeze at the GNOME splash screen. There is no way to get around it. I remember reading somewhere about killing 'gksu' but I couldn't find any running processes last time that happened. I did this because I remember reading that if you leave GNOME and something is using gksu when you leave (and you save the session), gksu will be running behind the splash waiting for a password next time GNOME runs. There is no way that could happen for me because the only thing I would run as root would be from a terminal (ie. editing configuration files or using pacman).

Any ideas?

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

The only time I've experienced something like this is when using an NFS-mounted /home. In my house, my server is under the stairs and the missus' PC is in the bedroom (at the moment - getting a dedicated computer room soon). But the wiring occasionally lets us down. NFS would normally mount at boot up 3 times out of 4, the other time you'd get left with a hanging spash screen at gnome login. My solution was to mount the /home elsewhere and have local homes on that computer, so you had a smooth system yet still have access to your server-based files if needed.

I doubt that problem is the same as yours but you never know.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Thanks for the reply,

Unfortunately, that can't be the cause because, truthfully, I don't even know what NFS is.

Any other ideas?

Bryan
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)

oz
    forum.guy
    I rarely run Gnome so can't say what the problem might be but if you really-really want to run Gnome, you should be able to start it from command line with "startx", bypassing GDM.

Thanks for the reply ozar,

Sometimes it would work from GDM, sometimes it wouldn't. This question is more out of perplexity than anything.

I would like to run GNOME but I am fine with KDE .

Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by bryansmith
    Thanks for the reply,

Unfortunately, that can't be the cause because, truthfully, I don't even know what NFS is.

Any other ideas?

Bryan
    NFS is Network File System - it allows you to mount remote partitions as though they are local - directories get exported on the server and listed in the client's fstab.

It takes tinkering at both ends to set up, so if you dont know what it is, I think that rules it out.

The situation that I had was that /home was not mounted, causing these problems - there were no user directories available. Is it possible that you have an old hard disk with your /home on it, causing mount problems locally?
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/