Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
I have noticed one odd thing. My timezone says Canada/Pacific but I am in the Eastern time zone...this is odd but my time still seems to work. Assuming New York ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I have noticed one odd thing. My timezone says Canada/Pacific but I am in the Eastern time zone...this is odd but my time still seems to work. Assuming New York is in the same time zone, which I think it is, try changing the time zone to pacific. I know this is a sloppy fix but at least this might give you a right time until you get a proper fix.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Ok, I finally got it by:

1. Setting my timezone to Canada/Pacific in arch

2. Going into windows and setting that to Pacific to make it the correct time.

3. Going back into arch and seeing that it was 3 hours behind.

4. Going back into windows and setting it back to eastern.

And now it's the correct time. Thanks guys!

Good to know it is working. If I find out what is causing this conflict for the time, I will let you know.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

One last simple question:

When I open programs through the terminal, why do I have to use two different terminals to open two different programs? For example, it doesn't allow me to open Firefox after I've opened Gaim in that terminal. It's annoying.

oz
    forum.guy
    Try it like this:

Code:
    firefox &
    That should allow you to open other proggies from within the same terminal.

Regarding timezones... it looks like America/New_York is the current timezone for you, afterall. Glad you are running with the correct time. Let us know if it goofs up again.

Quote Originally Posted by ozar
    Regarding timezones... it looks like America/New_York is the current timezone for you, afterall. Glad you are running with the correct time. Let us know if it goofs up again.
    I'm actually using Canada/Pacific in arch and eastern in windows. Thank you for your help.

oz
    forum.guy
    Did you try "firefox &" to see if it allows you to start other apps from within the terminal? Just curious to know if it works for you.

Did you try "firefox &" to see if it allows you to start other apps from within the terminal? Just curious to know if it works for you.
    Yes I did and it works great. It even puts up another line so I can issue different commands. Thank you. I'm glad there's two trusted penguins that use Arch Linux...lol.

oz
    forum.guy
    oosterhouse... I'm impressed with your ability to move from the newbie friendlier distros to Arch Linux in such a short time. Arch isn't really all that hard to install and run, but "most" new Linux users consider it too tough for them.

When you feel up to it, you'll have to try Gentoo and/or Crux. They aren't really all that hard to install/use either, but they are slow and tedious to install and upgrade because all the files compile from source. It takes me about 2 or 3 days to install Gentoo from Stage 1 all the way up to a full-blown and working desktop.

oosterhouse... I'm impressed with your ability to move from the newbie friendlier distros to Arch Linux in such a short time. Arch isn't really all that hard to install and run, but "most" new Linux users consider it too tough for them.

When you feel up to it, you'll have to try Gentoo and/or Crux. They aren't really all that hard to install/use either, but they are slow and tedious to install and upgrade because all the files compile from source. It takes me about 2 or 3 days to install Gentoo from Stage 1 all the way up to a full-blown and working desktop.
    Well thank you. I've just been reading alot about it and it's fun for me. I honestly didn't think I would get through the Arch install as soon as I did, but I'm glad I did, it's a really great distro. I plan on trying Gentoo sometime, and I've never heard of Crux, but I'll definately check it out. Thanks!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast