Find the answer to your Linux question:
Suse 10 is going to be my first linux installation. I've read about at least 5 different ones you can install. This installation came with gnome. SHould i stick with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What's the most preferred desktop

Suse 10 is going to be my first linux installation. I've read about at least 5 different ones you can install. This installation came with gnome. SHould i stick with that or would you recommend something else... what do the others come with. Gnome came with firefox and that's all i know of so far.

The default in Suse is KDE and for a newcomer to Linux, I would recommend you stick with KDE for now.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums...

I don't currently use either of them but you should try both Gnome, and KDE. After you start getting the feel for Linux, you should also try some others like Xfce4, Fluxbox, Openbox, etc.

Most importantly, have fun with it!
    oz

Hi there. I've only been using Linux for a month and I'd recommend KDE.
    Korean food is great - it's the dog's bollocks!
    Linux user number 406572.

ozar speaks wise words.

For a new user, I highly recommend KDE. However, the ultimate goal is that you will branch out, explore them all, and use whatever you like the most.

I began with KDE, switched to Fluxbox, and the second E17 hits stable, I'm gonna be using that.

Try 'em all!

I agree with using KDE first, and then branching out to GNOME and then Fluxbox and XFce4 and IceWM, etc. Just have fun with it and you'll find one you like. KDE is a good desktop for new users because it looks more like Windows XP and is very user-friendly. Try it out.

The most popular with me is XFce4, 'cos it doesn't leave lots of things running in the background while I'm trying to play games.

If I'm doing something productive, I'll use KDE or Gnome depending on my mood.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

oz
    forum.guy
    They all have their good and bad points, so it's important to experiments with all of them to see how they measure up for you and your needs. Again, the main thing is to have fun with it, whatever you use. If it's not fun, it's not gonna last long for work, or play.

ozar
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by ozar
    They all have their good and bad points, so it's important to experiments with all of them to see how they measure up for you and your needs. Again, the main thing is to have fun with it, whatever you use. If it's not fun, it's not gonna last long for work, or play.

ozar
    That about sums it up. To prevent another "KDE vs GNOME vs YYY vs ZZZ", this thread is now locked.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants