Find the answer to your Linux question:
How much does X use the video card. For example will X run faster on a better video card. Just wondering because windows doesnt use the video card that much....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Quick question about X

How much does X use the video card. For example will X run faster on a better video card. Just wondering because windows doesnt use the video card that much.
    The computer made me do it!! Slackware and SUSE too Gig\'em WHOOOOP!!
    \"God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain amount of tasks, At the rate I\'m going I will never die.\" (I don\'t know)

Linux Guru
    That depends completely on the driver. Well written drivers on a good video card will make the X server run incredibly much faster than if you use, say, the vesa driver on any card.

Linux User
    Well I had an old SIS card in there with 4 megs of video ram and X was moving sluggish. But I found another old card the voodoo 3 16 meg card and now X runs great. Is four megs pushing the min requirements of X windows.
    The computer made me do it!! Slackware and SUSE too Gig\'em WHOOOOP!!
    \"God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain amount of tasks, At the rate I\'m going I will never die.\" (I don\'t know)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    When in 2D mode, the amount of video memory in the card has almost nothing at all to do with the speed. It's probably just that the Voodoo 3 card has a better 2D acceleration architecture and/or better driver.

The amount of video memory is only relevant in 3D mode, where it's crucial to store as many textures as possible in the video card, to avoid unnecessary AGP traffic just for loading textures. Of course, even in 2D mode you need enough video memory to accomodate the frame buffer of your preferred video mode, but it has almost nothing with speed to do.

Just Joined!
    Well ,Dolda ..
    3D or 2D ? I dont know what you mean excatly , Can i take control over my system and force it to work in 2D mode !
    >Another Story , I installed Redhat but it was slower somewhat , I also installed Suse .Suse was much faster really fast.
    So Dude Gurues any suggestion to do with our systems to work faster ? I don't want suggestion like changing the decoration or the desktop environment .You Know, the open office takes nearly 45 seconds to open in RH9 !

Linux Engineer
    compiling a new kernel?

i havent used RH in a while but last i checked it shipped everything as i386. if u compile a p4/athlon /whatever ur using kernel, that should speed a lot of things up. I think slack ships with i586 compatible stuff so it woudl be slightly faster