Find the answer to your Linux question:
Before i try and uninstall the ATI drivers off of my computer, i would like to run the automatic Xconfiguration. So i used setup and choose Xwindows, but i get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Xorg setup problems

Before i try and uninstall the ATI drivers off of my computer, i would like to run the automatic Xconfiguration. So i used setup and choose Xwindows, but i get this error:
    Code:
    [root@localhost ~]# setup
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/share/system-config-display/xconf.py", line 381, in ?
        dialog = xConfigDialog.XConfigDialog(hardware_state, xconfig, rhpl.videocard.VideoCardInfo())
      File "/usr/share/system-config-display/xConfigDialog.py", line 571, in __init__
        self.xml.get_widget("secondMonitorLabel").set_text(monitor_list[1].modelname)
    TypeError: GtkLabel.set_text() argument 1 must be string, not None
    [root@localhost ~]#

Does anyone now how, why, or what this error is? Do you think that it is due to the ATI drivers, and so should i uninstall those first before trying to reconfigure X? Thanks.

As you're running FC4, you should be safe to uninstall before you try to change your X configuration.

Before you start, flip to runlevel 3 with:

Code:
    init 3
    then uninstall the drivers. You can set your X configuration to a basic default using:

Code:
    system-config-display --reconfig
    which should re-detect your video card and (if possible) your monitor and configure to a low res automatically. You can then go reset your video to just how you like it.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Unfortunately, my system hangs if i do init 3

I think that all these probems are due to the fact that i installed an ATI driver, and then restored my xorg.conf file.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommaso
    Unfortunately, my system hangs if i do init 3

I think that all these probems are due to the fact that i installed an ATI driver, and then restored my xorg.conf file.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.
    You can reboot into runlevel 3, that'll mean your X system never gets started and should get around the problem of switching video modes.

To boot up in runlevel 3, there are two methods:

- Edit /etc/inittab to change the default runlevel (near the top of the file - quite easy to find, looke like 'id:5:initdefault:') from 5 to 3. This change is permanent until you change it back.

- Add a '3' to the end of the kernel parameters at boot up time. This only applies to the current session.

Once you're in runlevel 3, you can run:

system-config-display --reconfig
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Smile Thanks so much Roxoff!

It worked perfectly (I edited the inittab file), and i can use system-config-display now. Looks like the damage done by the ATI driver has been finally fixed with your help. Thanks again.