Find the answer to your Linux question:
This is not an important question just something that has been bugging me for a while. We are about to implement a Linux network in the office. (well, move the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

backgrounds

This is not an important question just something that has been bugging me for a while.

We are about to implement a Linux network in the office. (well, move the clients to a dual boot scenario anyway). I would like to have a script which creates a personalised wallpaper image for each client.

My initial thought was to write one in PHP and slap it on the apache server and point the clients at it.

However, Gnome only seems to support image backgrounds - not html or web addresses.

Anyone have any other ideas. I imagine that I could write a script (hopefully in php) and then set some startup script to run it. The php would output an image file to a specific location and then the startup file would tell gnome where to look for it's background image.
    Is this feasible? Where should I start looking for some research on this kind of thing?

Cheers

Kris
    PS. Happy new year.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Linux Engineer
    im not entirely sure i follow u. so u want the server to generate say a random pattern for the backgroudn every tiem a client logs on? or do u just want the client name/number on the background?im not sure how easily u can setup gnome with scripts so my best bet would be set up a symlink on each machine that u point the gnoem background setting at. thenm ur startup script simply changes where this symlink points. eg. u have 20 backgrounds on the server labelled bg1, bg2, etc. ur scipt generates a random number 1-20 and sets the symlink to bg#.

if u could be more specific on what works / doesnt i might be able to help more

Linux User

intention

I wanted to imitate what I have setup here on the windows clients.

I have a web page on our intranet server that uses PHP and Javascript/VBscript to generate a personalised page for each person. 1 page! It has a graphical background & lists the computer name and IP address of the machine.

I was hoping use something similar for the linux boxes. Since PHP can manipulate / create images on the fly, I was thinking maybe I could create the image instead of scripting a web page.

Does this make sense?
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Linux Engineer
    Yes i follow you...but i dont know of any easy way of solwing it, PHP as a webb-lanuage is buildt for many visitors to a single server.

Cant you just build this kind of solution on the linuxbox?? If you are using php on it its very easy. You can probably port much of it from the old box.
    Regards

Andutt