Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have upgraded my version of Firefox (after the traditional newbie difficulties). I created a link on my desktop to the executable. This currently appears as a shell script icon. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

kde mozilla firefox desktop icon

I have upgraded my version of Firefox (after the traditional newbie difficulties). I created a link on my desktop to the executable. This currently appears as a shell script icon. How can I change that to the firefox icon? Currently when I go to its properties "General" and "Permissions" are the only tabs that appear. When I click on the icon in the general tab, nothing happens. I am using Mandriva 2006, and I have tried changing the icon of the file I am linking to with no success.

Strange that clicking on the icon in the Properties dialog doesn't do anything. When I do it, I get an icon selection dialog.

You can set it by hand in the console if you want. From your home directory, go to Desktop and find the file for the Firefox shortcut (should be something like firefox.desktop). Open it in an editor, and a few lines down you'll see Icon=yadayada. Change yadayada to whatever icon you'd like.

Edit: I suppose you could also use Kedit or whatever graphical editor you like; that might be easier if you're not a console junkie.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

I do it most easyly

Right click on the desktop icon, and then in the General tab, click the icon. Just choose one

Bye

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I fixed it. I right-clicked on the desktop of KDE, went to Create New > Link to Location (URL) and typed in the path to the firefox launcher. Now by right-clicking on the new firefox link on the desktop, I can change the icon in the General tab like Baldrick said.