Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys, I am new to linux, i want to run a nice and easy linux O/S on my notebook which will run well in a microsoft domain. Basically need ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New to linux, Good O/S to run on notebook.

Hey guys,
    I am new to linux, i want to run a nice and easy linux O/S on my notebook which will run well in a microsoft domain. Basically need to use for testing on smtp, pop3, surfing, domain logons, remote desktop etc....
    Whats is a good O/S to try???

Just Joined!
    I would recommend Fedora, 'cause it's really easy to install with its graphical installer. In fact, most things in Fedora can be controlled via GUI (no command line exp. needed). Good for a beginning step into the world of Linux.

oz
    forum.guy
    I don't have a notebook of my own, but I've heard lots of success stories with notebooks running SUSE.

oz
    oz

fedora's ok, but some cpufreq modules arent enabled by default in the kernel. if you have a lappy with an intel proc., you maybe in luck. but i own a lappy with a amd proc.

thats why i changed to gentoo. lightning fast with only 56mb of ram used using fluxbox.
    -weed
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

Just Joined!
    Whats good for file , ftp and web server?

I would recommend....SUSE 10. Get it ..coz it has some real good utils like battery monitor....which I think is not available in Fedora Core..!

Just Joined!
    I would recommend....SUSE 10. Get it ..coz it has some real good utils like battery monitor....which I think is not available in Fedora Core..!
    Fedora has a battery monitor.

My recomendation would be Fedora or Ubuntu.