Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello I am trying to install the latest Fedora core (2.4.22 - 1.2115.npth) on a system with a Riva TNT video card (which is successfully probed) and a Belinea 17" ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Monitor will not sync

Hello

I am trying to install the latest Fedora core (2.4.22 - 1.2115.npth) on a system with a Riva TNT video card (which is successfully probed) and a Belinea 17" monitor (which isn't). I have a manual for the monitor which says it is capable of Horizontal Sync at rates between 30 -70 and vertical sync 50 - 120 I have picked a generic CRT type on install of 1024 x 768 but when the display manager loads the logon screen the monitor will not sync correctly. I have tried to vi /etc/X11/XF86Config file to alter the values of the Horiz and Vert sync rates which does seem to make a difference but I cannot find a combination of values that will work, the closest I can get is a valid vertical scan and a horizontal giving three screens.

The curious thing is that if I logon while in this state (the screens are just about legible) and select from the Main menu -> System settings -> Display the monitor snaps in and syncs perfectly and remains in sync even if I then cancel. when the monitor is synced if I look at the OSD of the monitor it tells me that it has a Hsyn of 69 and a Vsync of 85, if I use these values in /etc/X11/XF86Config same result i.e no sync

I have searched the forum but cannot find anything, can anybody offer any suggestions please. I apologise if this has been covered before.

Thanks

Liag

Linux Guru
    What video card driver are you using? nVidia's driver is notorious for using the DDC values even if they are known to be incorrect. Would you mind posting the Device and Monitor sections of your XF86Config?

Just Joined!
    Thankyou for your reply

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName "Monitor 1024x768"
    HorizSync 69.0
    VertRefresh 50.0 - 120.0
    Option "dpms"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Videocard)"
    Driver "nv"
    VendorName "Videocard vendor"
    BoardName "RIVA TNT2"
    EndSection

Liag

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I can understand that it's having trouble to find a syncing mode. You should give the HorizSync as the full range ("30.0 - 70.0").
    I'm guessing you might already have tried that, though. If it doesn't work, please post your /var/log/XFree86.0.log (you might want to mail it to me instead, though, considering its size; I'll put it up on the web so that everyone can see it).

Linux Engineer
    mayeb try lowering the vert refresh to whatever u wan tit to run at (prob 85Hz @1024) so make it 60-85??

Just Joined!
    Hello

Many thanks Dolda and Hellmasker for your replies and interest in my problem and for pointing me in the right direction. I have downloaded the latest NVIDIA driver from their web site..... NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5328... and installed as per instuctions and now all is fine. Using the "nvidia" driver instead of the "nv" in XF86Config brings up an NVIDIA splash screen and the monitor syncs straight away @ HF:57KHz & VF:70Hz also when I look at the XF86Config file now the HorizSync value has been adjusted to 31.5-57 and the VertRefresh to 50.0-70

Cheers

Liag