Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have installed mandriva 2006.0 on my pc, and then the latest ufficial drivers from nvidia (817 . I press init 3 and here i installed the drivers (are x86_64 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems with my NVIDIA 7800GT PCIE?

I have installed mandriva 2006.0 on my pc, and then the latest ufficial drivers from nvidia (817. I press init 3 and here i installed the drivers (are x86_64 bit because i have mandriva x86_64). I have installed the source of my kernel (2.6.14.2). The installation didnt find a kernel precompiled module, and it find in the nividia server, but nothing. Then the program create itself the module using my kernel version (i'm new in linux).
    THese drivers autoconfigure the config file (xorg.conf in my case). But when i reboot the pc, at the start of mandriva never appear a logo of nvidia screen. IN harddrake (that list all hardware) the video card is not detected with a name and the driver module is unknow.
    But the 3d acceleration works fine i thinks with games. Also is not present in the configuration of screen and monitor a valid profile for my video cards (nvidia 7800gt pcie). There are only the base profiles of video cards installed with the original cds of mandriva2006 (vesa, nv, ecc). I can't select here my videocards.
    In the file readme, the official readme of nvidia in the installation drivers, there are the name of every file. ALl the files in my pc are present but there isn't tje file nvidia.o. A file for kernel for low level uso of videocards. MAybe the problem...
    I spended much time, but nothing to do. What i can try for this problem?
    (sorry for my english, i'm italian)

Thanks

Just Joined!
    i think you have to edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and find
    Code:
    Section "device"
    driver "nv"
    and change that driver "nv" into driver "nvidia"
    i'm not sure if it's XF86Config-4 in Mandriva...it might be xorg.conf

Just Joined!

Nvidia.ko problem?

Already done in my xorg.conf, after installed the drivers. I have checked the log file in /var/log/Xorg.0.log and there are no errors. All the files of NVIDIA are loaded execpt one, i think the most important, the nvidia kernel mode. THe installation created this file, nvidia.ko, but i think is the only it isn't loaded.

To try i added this to xorg.conf in section modules:

Load "/whereisfile/nvidia.ko"

I reboot the pc and X start but no nvidia logo e no video devices know in the mandriva. I read in the log file and when the os load the nvidia.ko say:

II) LoadModule: "/lib/modules/2.6.14-2mdk/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko" (nvidia.ko)
    (WW) LoadModule: given non-canonical module name "/lib/modules/2.6.14-2mdk/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko"
    (II) Loading /lib/modules/2.6.14-2mdk/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko
    (EE) LoadModule: Module /lib/modules/2.6.14-2mdk/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko does not have a nvidiaModuleData data object.
    (II) UnloadModule: "nvidia.ko"
    (II) Unloading /lib/modules/2.6.14-2mdk/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko
    (EE) Failed to load module "/lib/modules/2.6.14-2mdk/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko" (invalid module, 0)

What is the nvidiaModuleData data object) How i can load the nvidia.ko?