Find the answer to your Linux question:
There are a lot of things to hate about MSWinblows and a lot of things to love about Linux, but right now I'm loving MS's file ( not internet) explorer, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Looking for Different File Explorer, Suggestions Please

There are a lot of things to hate about MSWinblows and a lot of things to love about Linux, but right now I'm loving MS's file (not internet) explorer, and I just simply dislike the only Linux file explorer I know, Konqueror.

Take for example MS's file explorer from Win9x.

I absolutely love MS explorer's List view. Notice the distance between the columns - long file names are no problem.

Get rid of that left-hand Folders and result is nice, clean, and concise.

It's also lightning fast and lean - no extras to bloat up the app.

Konqueror's MultiColumn smashes in more columns all right, but is far less readable. It's just nowhere near the nice, clean, and conciseness I'm looking for. Any other listish view provides details I most often don't care to have and at the expense of speed.

So now that you know what I'm looking for and what I'm unsatisfied with, any suggestions on alternative linux file explorers or how to mod Konqueror?

Thanks,
    DrCR

Linux Engineer
    I'll be the first to admit that konqueror pretty much sucks

I did a little bit of googling and found this file manager for linux, it is based on ms windows's file manager, and looks really good. I haven't tried it out yet, but I may just give it a compile and see how fast it is...currently I'm using the gentoo file manager and I love it.

Oh yeah, here is a link for you

http://roland65.free.fr/xfe/
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

oz
    forum.guy
    Here's a listing with descriptions of some Linux file managers. You should try two or three and pick your favorite:

http://applications.linux.com/applic.../2226202.shtml
    oz

Linux Newbie
    Ah, good. I was so ready for a Konqueror fanboy to show up lol.

Oops, sorry genesus, I forgot to mention I've already tried out xfe. It's not quite what I'm looking for, but certainly a step in the right direction. Thanks for mentioning your pleasure in Gentoo's file manager.

Oh wow, thanks a ton ozar. That's just the kind of page I was looking for. Guess I was using the wrong terms, using file explorer and file browser.

Thanks again. I'll try to remember to post what I've found for posterity sake after digging through that list.

DrCR

It may not be set up like Windows explorer, but I've been a big fan of Krusader for a long time. We use it to swap files from box to box via ftp at my radio station but it's also a good regular file manager too.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux Newbie
    Yeah, I noticed Krusader on the link Ozar posted. Going to have to check it out, thanks.

Sorry for the late reply.
    [rant] For some reason it seems this forums too readily unsubscribes me from threads... I have it set to instant email notifcation. Other forums I participate in subscribe me indefinitely and let me know every time someone makes a new posts, whether I've been back to the thread since the last post or not.[/rant]

Just Joined!
    I hope you found a file viewer you like personally I use ls it is very consise and flexable. But I undersand that you might like a gui if you go to konqueror's view menu > View Mode> MultiCloumn View and then set the icon size to tiny you get some thing very similar to explorer. The thing about linux in general is it is way more configrable than windows you just have to look around and not be afraid to get your hands dirty.

Linux Newbie
    Yeah, I shrunk down the icons and figured out how to increase the distance between the columns to make it more long-filename friendly. Still not the lean-mean filemanager I want, but at least aesthetically it's somewhat better.

Yeah, you're right on about the greatness of Linux's flexability. I use ls as well, esp. when I'm moding a config file or something. But I usually prefer to use GUI when I have a lot of directories to go through, and I'm not quite sure where the file is. Even in GUI though I have a tendency to type in the directory I want rather than clicking my way to it.

About to get my hands real "dirty" shorty here. I got Arch basic burned and am printing of documentation as we speak.

Just Joined!
    I recently switched to fluxbox from gnome, and picked up pcmanfm along the way. It's small, fast, has tabs, and list view. In fact, the only problem I've had with it so far is the fact that it thumbnails images but I can't figure out where the heck it stores them (not a real problem, I suppose, but annoying).