Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Here is my question, i installed XMMS from source, the latest version from their website, everything went fine, after make install, i added the applet into my KDE panel, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

XMMS Question

Here is my question, i installed XMMS from source, the latest version from their website, everything went fine, after make install, i added the applet into my KDE panel, and when i launch it, it comes up fine, but i can't hit the play button or anything of that nature. I can't control anything, when i go to preerences and players, the players names are there, but when i go to their tab they are not there, they're grayed out...

What did i do wrong guys? Any advice

Just Joined!
    On an unrelated note, i tried installing Kmp3, i installed the newest version of QT, and when i configure, it doesn't give me the qt error anymore, now the error says

Checking for KDE headers installed: Your system is not able to compile a small KDE application.

and it errors out... what the hell am i doing wrong¿ I had to specify /home/psx/qt for the QT directory, and it worked. Where should i put the QT libs and what not so i dont have to specify it? i did a make install but obvouslly it didn't work, im trying to get a media player working on this machine and i'm having a HELL of a time! ANyone have any suggestions for me? damnit i just want sound!!!

LOL

Linux Guru
    Preferences and "Players"? I don't recognize anything of that sort from the XMMS preference menu. Where did you find such a thing?

In any case, did you make sure that the audio output plugins compiled properly?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    ok, let me clarify

everything associated with xmms compiled fine. i followed the information on the docs, and it installed fine. I am in KDE and i did
    add -> applet -> xmms-kde.

ok, so i right clicked on the xmms that is now an active applet in my taskbar.. and went to preferences, and am in the player menu, and all three of the players, noatun, smpeg, and xmms are grayed out and not accessible. Does this sound a little bit more familiar to you? What am i doing wrong?

When i try to hit play or next or stop on the applet, nothing happens, it's like it's not letting me click any of the control buttons. WHat could i be doing wrong?

Linux User
    on a related note I installed xmms from an rpm and it does not let me do anythg...i mean i can click on play and stop but nothing happens!!!...dunno wat the problem is...i tried compiling xmms from source and installed it but it is giving me the same problem...i can click on the buttons but nothg happens.
    Fixing Unix is better than working with Windows.
    http://nikhilk.homedns.org/projects/index.html

Linux Guru
    Hmmm... that doesn't sound like XMMS to me. That rather sounds like the XMMS control applet for KDE. Are you really sure that it was XMMS that you compiled?

Just Joined!

Can another newbie chime in...?

I feel I have to jump in on this thread, as I can really relate. The first thing that I wanted when I signed-on with Linux was to get the tunes streaming, like I enjoyed for my $4.95/mo with msn under Windows. I use RedHat9, and Gnome, and clicked on the Sound & Video-->Audio Player icon, and XMMS opened right up for me, pre-installed. I had to figure out how to insert the URL I wanted, but the music hasn't stopped since. Free!!!

I read your post, switched over to KDE ( which I have never used), followed the same S&A-->Audio Player links, XMMS opened right up, I clicked on the right arrow ( play), and the music is streaming. I don't understand why you had to install XMMS, nor do I see any Preferences, etc. options...? You may be referring to some other program? Which Linux are you running?

I'm having a great deal of difficulty with DVD ripping, gettting the video set up was a trial, but audio was just right there, not quite instantly, but definitely no-tears... ?

-Allen

Linux User
    ok...i jus tried that as well...i opened Sound & Video-->Audio Player icon, and XMMS opened, but the problem is when I click on any of the buttons like play or eject nothg happens for me!!!!...i dunno wats going wrong...at the same time mplayer/gmplayer works like a charm....sheeesh!!!!
    Fixing Unix is better than working with Windows.
    http://nikhilk.homedns.org/projects/index.html

Linux Engineer
    check that the correct audio output plugin is loaded. (and that u have soem files in ur playlist)

xmms locks up for me if i select a certain audio output. (i think its if i set it to alsa but dont have kernel support)

open xmms by typeing xmms at a terminal and see if it gives u any errors there. also right click and select prefernces, see fi theres anythign in there that looks blatantly wrong, and that when u compiled it, that u compiled output plugins/mp3 decoders etc.

Just Joined!
    So, none of the buttons work, as if the app is not active under the wm?

Is there, or is there not a mode where you can play xmms via the console? If so, try using that to control, and if that works, then reportback here. It may bea problem with the way x is looking at this app.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast