Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Somethings look weird in the picture. I finally managed to get X to work @ 1280x768 from 1024x768. Somethings look weird, like the computer icon & the menu's look stretched. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Does this look right?

Somethings look weird in the picture.

I finally managed to get X to work @ 1280x768 from 1024x768.

Somethings look weird, like the computer icon & the menu's look stretched. But win xp runs at the same resolution, and looks fine.

Picture: Here

~the_weedman
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

From the look of it, it "looks" right, but then again it's hard to tell.

What's your video card? (Or what's your laptop model?) How did you got it to work?
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Linux Engineer
    It looks fine to me as well, if it only looks funny to you, maybe its something to do with display settings in your xorg.conf
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

My laptop's a Compaq Presario V2417AU.

Specs:
    Sempron 3000+ (1.8ghz)
    40gb hdd
    256mb ram
    ati radeon xpress 200M <<Video card
    14.1" Widescreen LCD <<screen

1280x768 works in windows, so I decided to get it working in Linux. I setup another machine (installing ubuntu) to give me some xorg.conf stuff during it's automated install. I set it to the resolution I wanted on my laptop, then I copied the monitor section's Hsync & Vsync. I then added my 1280x768 resolution to the rest of the resolutions.

I am not sure if the Hsync & Vsync are correct for my LCD screen. But there isn't many docs (if any) on the net that give me the specs. So i had to guess them via the process I did.

I am hoping that kind of made sense.
    ~the_weedman

It looks fine to me, but if you're not happy with it you could try playing with the dpi level, you can do this by editing the file startx, as root, and adding the line -dpi 100 to serverargs, so it'll be serverargs="-dpi 100", 100 just happens to be what I use and I find that just right, so see how that goes for you.

2 Questions:
    1. How do yu figure ou the current dpi?
    2. Which file do I need to edit, Krendoshazin? A shot-in-the-dark would be xorg.conf.

Thanks Krendoshazin for that tip. I am hoping however, that changing the dpi won't bugger up my monitor.

~the_weedman

Quote Originally Posted by Weedman
    2 Questions:
    1. How do yu figure ou the current dpi?
    2. Which file do I need to edit, Krendoshazin? A shot-in-the-dark would be xorg.conf.

Thanks Krendoshazin for that tip. I am hoping however, that changing the dpi won't bugger up my monitor.

~the_weedman
    1. This tool, http://www.raydreams.com/prog/dpi.aspx , can help you figure that out, enter your resolution and monitor size
    2. startx, it's a script you'll usually find in /usr/X11/bin, but you can do vi `which startx`, and that should grab it for you

Thanks for that online tool, it will come in handy again someday .

It says that my monitor is 106.6 DPI @ 1280x768. I am assuming that it thinks my monitor is widescreen.

Funny, I never knew that "startx" was actually an script. I probably should have guessed so though. I'll try editing my startx file and report what happens.

~the_weedman

Linux Engineer
    If that doesn't solve it, you might also try "xvidtune", maybe you can adjust the settings there.

I tried it, and I see no difference.

Anyway, it doesn't look that bad to my anymore. Considering the fact that the computer I am now using has an all yellow & no blue screen. Quite painful!

Cheers guys for all your help,
    ~the_weedman

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast