Find the answer to your Linux question:
Right, just decided to install debian. The system itself works fine: Until i reboot for the first time, at which time the computer seizes up, which i am assuming is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

XDM kills computer

Right, just decided to install debian. The system itself works fine: Until i reboot for the first time, at which time the computer seizes up, which i am assuming is because of xdm. Last install i managed to get the xdm startup script out of /etc/init.d, however, after it begins to freeze, nothing will get me into X again. It just locks right up. I had been using X for nearly 5 and half hours before i needed to shutdown. When i returned, boom. No x, no boot.

I dont really understand, especially since x is so perfectly happy on the very first boot, then somthing happens on the subsequent boots. HELP! I could just reinstall, however tthn what heppens next time i have to reboot. Which i will, since i am planing on rebuilding my kernel for APM support.

Just Joined!
    Wow.... jsut tried it out of the blue, startx, and it WORKED!. I guess it was just xdm, which actually dont use often.
    Cool.